Frustrated Ped Basic

Old 11-23-2014, 07:09 AM

Default Frustrated Ped Basic

I have a Brother SE350 sewing machine that uses an embroidery card, no USB port. I purchased PED Basic to embroider. I am using Windows 7 on my computer. The software was working! It now gives me an error message on my computer when using the software. "MFC application error is not working and will shut down". I did internet research. It seems that numerous people have this issue with Norton security. I have followed the steps from Norton and Brother to disable Norton, uninstall the PED. Basic and reinstall. I did this numerous times!! I have sent an email to Brother for assistance but they do not work on the weekends. Time is ticking and need to do ornaments for our guild. Do you have any suggestions or have you had this problem? Appreciate any suggestions!! Thanks.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:51 PM

I"ve had Basic for several yrs without any problems on XP. But may I suggest that you uninstall PE Basic--get all the little bits completely cleaned out, and then go to the Brother Support site and download the full software from there. This often solves a problem. The D/L will be updated and you just follow the instructions. To add...the software is available because one must have the card writer to access on the computer.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:00 PM

Help for others with this issue. **This has finally worked but doesn't seem to be stable. Brother suggested setting up a new computer user. I am able to load files onto the card. I don't understand how a new user account allowed me to do this. I did get error messages "MFC application" along the install. It appears that it installed with XP even thou my operating system is Windows 7. I am going to stitch out the new design tonight!! Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:27 PM

Please let us know what happens. I just had delivery of new win7 Pro, and must soon begin exporting all my software programs. Scared silly there will be problems'
Old 11-26-2014, 06:29 AM

Windows 7 Professional has an XP emulator built in. That means you can run your older programs in a windows that acts like the XP operating system. I've used this in the past and it works pretty well - some programs still have problems but most work just fine.

Here's a link from Microsoft that explains how to do it and a tool you can run to make sure your PC can handle it: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-in-windows-7
Old 11-26-2014, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Windows 7 Professional has an XP emulator built in. That means you can run your older programs in a windows that acts like the XP operating system. I've used this in the past and it works pretty well - some programs still have problems but most work just fine.

Here's a link from Microsoft that explains how to do it and a tool you can run to make sure your PC can handle it: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-in-windows-7
Sewnoma - do you know if Windows 7 home has this feature?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:44 AM

It does not, and I've been instructed to install XP for using in virtual mode...that is why I bought this set up. But it sits and has not yet been powered on....so I cannot swear XP is not 'there'. I believe I read somewhere that it is already installed on Win7ultimate. Will get my nerve up & ck it...but I love XP too much to give it up'
Old 11-26-2014, 02:09 PM

Looks like only Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate versions of Win 7 have the XP emulator.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:12 AM

It WORKED! Short story. The embroidery files on the computer would not show after setting up a new computer user. I opened the files on the computer with internet explorer, did a file save as (keeping the .pes file) changed file name. This worked (it has been working for 2 days). I did do research on microsoft support website to help uninstall and reinstall. Please send PM if you need detailed info or additional help.