Gel nail polish - wow

Old 01-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

I am not sure if it's the same process but I heard a warning on TV that some people can have a reaction to the chemicals used.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
I'd be interested ito know if it hides the ridges that I have in my ancient nails. It would be great, too if it helped hold cracked nails from splitting!
MaryKatherine
Yes, MaryKatherine, it does hide the ridges. Ask me how I know??? LOL
Old 01-06-2012, 02:30 PM

OK, I have to jump in here. The gel nails should be removed professionally. I had mine done about a year and a half ago for my son's wedding. I got impatient with them growing out, and didn't want to pay to take them off. I pulled them off myself (I used to do that all the time with acrylics), and now I have PERMANENT damage to my nails. They are very rough on top, almost like I used sandpaper on them--and this doesn't grow off. I guess it's because the damage went so deep. And yes, they were a little sore when I pulled them off. So, if you use them, make sure you take them off the right way.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:40 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by QuiltingNancy View Post
I had gel polish about 6 months ago and it didn't stag on at all. In fact, it was chipping soon after I arrived home. I wonder what they did wrong? I may have to try it again. Thanks for the positive comments.
Might want to try another nail place
Old 01-06-2012, 05:12 PM

I tried the gel once. Usually when I get polish on my nails, they start chipping or simply peeling off after 2 - 3 days. I just go in for pedicures, but the last time I was there the gal talked me into trying the gel technique. She promised me it would be tougher and last a lot longer. It did - a whole week. I figure I'm just not meant to have polish on my fingertips.

However, I discovered one product that DOES last a long time and is just about bullet-proof. I was in my supermarket right before Thanksgiving, and on impulse, bought 2 bottles of Essie nail polish. One was a soft pastel pink base, the other a clear polish with large darker pink metallic sparkles. It was sooo pretty, I figured I could just wear it to all the Christmas parties. Let me tell you, that polish was TOUGH! It dried fast and NOTHING chipped it off, and it resisted peeling for almost 3 weeks! I think it was the metallic coat that made it so tough. Took some major work getting it off, too. I had to soak in acetone for a long time. I liked the sparkles, but after a while it felt kind of lady-of-the-night-ish to me, better for parties and special occasions than every-day use. Sure was pretty, though.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:15 PM

I have the new gel nail done and they do not make you finger nails longer they just provide a strong covering on your polish.

This is not the same gel nails I justed to get that made my nails longer that were either filed off electronically or you socked in acetone remover. The acrylic nails are the ones that I found totally wrecked my nails as I had to sock them in acetone and then pop them off along with some my finger nails. .

Last edited by Quilterfay; 01-06-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:15 PM

i used to have the acrylic nails put on. loved them! but after awhile, my nails became so thin and strong it was like having rzor blades for nails and i was always giving myself little nicks, like paper cuts. i haven't had fake nails for about 5 yrs now and my nails are beginning to look like normal nails. i would try this gel polish, but i sure don't want to get back to the razor nails! i had to register my fingers as lethal weapons! lol
Old 01-07-2012, 02:03 AM

I like to do my own because it relaxes me, and I like to experiment with putting two coats of different but compatible colors to see if one shows through and if so, what it turns out to be. It does not last as long as the salon type but I get tired of colors easily and like to change them every few days. I can tell how my past few days are going by how my nails look. Busy few days they look beaten, then I know I need "me time" and should take it easier. while they dry, I get to meditate or pray. Can't do much else with wet nails
Old 01-07-2012, 02:48 AM

I apply the gelish myself and really like it. I work in a hospital kitchen and my nails to take a lot of abuse. My polish only last about ten days. I only use the clear because of working in the kitchen.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:52 PM

May I should do this. I'm probably one of a very few that has never had a manicure or pedicure. I planted tulip bulbs today and wore gloves - took them off then pulled up some death plants - and had dirty nails. Between gardening and sewing I'm hard on my nails not to mention golfing.