Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: getting rid of moles in the yard

How do you get rid of moles in your yard?
    I can't seem them working - only the results where they
    have been digging tunnels.

throw mothballs in the holes. You should be able to find the entrance hole and where he came out. My dad has a mole killer apparatus and I have set that contraption for him and haven't had to deal with the aftermath.......but it is like a guillatine for moles........ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. I got good at mole hunting around here.......lol. The moles must have gotten wind of that contraption because they haven't been around since last year... 8-)

Blog Entries
    Best mole eliminator you can get is a cat. Our outside cat catches and kills all our moles. I find one every so often at the back door, his way of saying I'm doing my job here. DH says he's the only pet we have that earns his keep.

Blog Entries
    Had them in the back yard. Dachshunds went to work, dug up all their trails. Killed one, so they moved into the dog free front yard. So now I have trenches in the back yard, and sink holes in the front! I wish the cats would go after them, the only thing they have been catching is the voles. harmless voles!

My husband has killed over 20 in one year, and usually averages around a 12-15. He's darn good at it but it takes patience and time.

He can work from home whenever he wants and takes frequent trips into the garden. He studies it. If he sees a new trench he immediately grabs the hose and plunges the running hose into the trench (which is easy because the earth is very soft where they've dug. He then waits. He may have to move the hose further down the trench if the mole doesn't come up within say 5 minutes, but the mole will have to come up (if indeed it is a fresh trench - if not - he probably has moved on to somewhere else). Once the mole emerges - he stabs him with a knife. Brutal. I can't watch it. Hubby doesn't enjoy it - hates it in fact, but nothing else has worked (not moth balls, not stink bombs, not traps).

So far (knock on wood) we haven't had any moles in the yard this year. We're watching though.

The other moles heard about that knife too....lol!

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    My husband has killed over 20 in one year, and usually averages around a 12-15. He's darn good at it but it takes patience and time.

He can work from home whenever he wants and takes frequent trips into the garden. He studies it. If he sees a new trench he immediately grabs the hose and plunges the running hose into the trench (which is easy because the earth is very soft where they've dug. He then waits. He may have to move the hose further down the trench if the mole doesn't come up within say 5 minutes, but the mole will have to come up (if indeed it is a fresh trench - if not - he probably has moved on to somewhere else). Once the mole emerges - he stabs him with a knife. Brutal. I can't watch it. Hubby doesn't enjoy it - hates it in fact, but nothing else has worked (not moth balls, not stink bombs, not traps).

So far (knock on wood) we haven't had any moles in the yard this year. We're watching though.

Quote Originally Posted by needles3thread
    How do you get rid of moles in your yard?
    I can't seem them working - only the results where they
    have been digging tunnels.
    If you have a cat and use a litter box put your used litter in the mole holes!

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom

Funny but my Mom told that her Daddy would trap the moles and Skin them. then She rememberd him making her Doll a Fur coat with A mole skin! She said it was so soft! she loved it!! Shes gone now, was born in 1914, past in 2003. miss her. 8-)

We have the same problem. Our outdoor cat brings me one or two, but it doesn't seem to make a dent in the mole population.

My little Jack Russell female takes care of the moles around here along with the opossums and anything else that she can except she doesn't bother our cat. They get along great.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast