Glass Etching

Old 12-23-2014, 06:48 AM

I have done all kinds of things. Ash trays, bowls and glass panels in cupboard doors. I did vases for my daughters wedding-reception tables. I didn't like seeing the dishes in the cupboards so I removed the glass and did frosted designs on them. I didn't take pictures though, and we sold the house. Sorry. I did large items outside with large totes and garden hose to rinse. If you put the contact paper on the side you want to etch and tape the design on the opposite side, then take a craft knife and cut/remove the parts you want etched. Double check the edges of design -smooth with a credit card- then etch. Be sure to scrape extra cream off and put back into bottle to be reused then rinse. When dry check to be sure you didn't miss any spots. Reapply if needed. remove the contact paper. Make sure you do the design on the back side of item and you have the paper picture turned the correct way. It may be reversed depending on how you place it.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:02 PM

I've done it once at a Girl Scout Leader's camp I went with a friend. It is an interesting process.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:41 PM

Our adult daughter talked about doing some for gifts this year.

My dear departed MIL wrote out her chicken soup recipe (complete with mis-spellings and other Dorothy-ism's) - our entire family loves her soup! I've been toying with a way to put it on something to give to each family member....don't know if I could get that much detail with etching or not....
Old 12-24-2014, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by cminor View Post
My daughter and I worked yesterday on gifts for the 4 girls I work with. I wanted to do glass etching but never did it before. After testing it out on some glasses and a lot of time getting the old Cricut Personal to work the way we wanted I think they turned out really nice. Not perfect...but that is ok. I am really happy with them.

I spend $5.00 on the small glass dish and $6.00 for the big one. All in all after the Etch cream and the contact paper I probably only spent $15.00 on each girl and for that they get one big dish with their last name and one small dish with just the first letter of their last name. I have seen these on Etsy for close to $35.00-$45.00.

With a newer craft cutter - you could make a killing making these The hardest part was getting the paper to line up right on the glass before you put the etch cream on it.

Has anyone else done this? If so please post a picture...I am very interested
In the old days the process used to use some very dangerous chemicals, so I'm glad it is an easier procedure now. My great grandpa's business was stained glass, coloured glass and lead light work and I was always warned off the etching because of the need to wear masks and protective clothing. If we see any of it over here it is always from a particular era.