Good Vacation Spots

Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 PM

Come West!

There is so much to see and do West of the Mississippi and once you are West of the Rockies it is even better.

Rarely humid, the dry heat of desert areas is much easier to bear than the humid East. Summers in Oregon, Washington and British Columbia are lovely especially in Coastal Areas. Winters are wet, but generally mild.

You will find some really great quilt shops too.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:16 AM

I live in Michigan and Yes, Mackinaw Island is wonderful to visit. NO cars are allowed except emergency vehicles. There are horse drawn carriages, plenty of fudge shops. You can bike around the island if you so desire. The breezes off Lake Michigan and the Straits of Machinaw are wonderful. We have sailed there several times and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
You can take the ferry across for the day or stay at one of the hotels. The GRAND HOTEL gets booked early (not in my budget) but gorgeous!!!! Quite an experience for a few days. Machinaw City is awesome also.....yu can sit on the shores of Lake Michigan and make yourself a picnic. ENJOY!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:58 AM

if you want to travel in Aug. Wyoming and Montana are wonderful places go yo the mountains and you may still see enough snow to make a snowball Glacier Park is one of those places and you would even see mountain goats it also borders Alberta and Banff Park absolutely beautiful also Wyoming has the Yellowstone and the Tetons between Red Lodge Mt. and Cooke City over 10,000 feet will most likely still see snow we have seen lakes still frozen the 4th of July not sure if you camp or stay in motels but also lots of B&B's hope whatever you pick you have a great trip
Old 05-13-2014, 05:01 AM

Again thinking outside the box. My fav vacation spot is my sewing room!
Old 05-13-2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
Again thinking outside the box. My fav vacation spot is my sewing room!
My DH's favorite vacation spot is working in the "man cave". Any kind of work. The dirtier and sweatier the better. But the only way I can get him away from his job is to go somewhere and make him leave his computer home. Otherwise he's checking his damn email constantly. So once every 18 mos or so I try to find somewhere to go.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
If you want to go North in summer try this

http://www.mackinacisland.org/

I saw an old travel log on Turner Classic Movies about this place and I looked it up because it was so cool and I think it hasn't changed in many years.

The Grand Hotel has the longest veranda in the world. Take a look. I haven't been there yet but boy do I want to go.

Where ever you go, have a great time.
peace
Bonnie Hunter just taught a quilters retreat there, at the Grand Hotel. She has pictures on her blog, Quiltville. It looked beautiful.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:50 PM

If you haven't been to Tucson it is a wonderful place to visit. Lots of quilt shops too. You DO NOT want to come here in June or July the rest of the year the weather is wonderful, not too crowded and there is lots to do
Old 05-14-2014, 05:40 AM

Alaska. nuff said
Old 05-14-2014, 06:23 AM

One of the best kept secrets is that Washington DC is terrific during Labor Day week. All the families with kids have disappeared and the school groups haven't started. The only people there are retirees and people with little kids (but not too many of them.) I lived in the DC area for 30 years and worked right on the Mall for much of that time. Labor Day week was always my favorite. The one negative for you may be the weather -- it is frequently just as hot as August. But you would be in museums most of the time, so it wouldn't really matter.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:18 AM

we went to Maine and then down to Boston last summer. Loved it.