Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got carried away picking cherries...

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    ... came home with 60 pounds! Mostly sweet (and I'll share them at work). Also picked a bundle of sour cherries.

(I really like picking cherries; it's so pleasantly mindless.)

So - the sour cherries are destined for pie, and I plan on freezing them. I had a recipe book that recommended 4 cups as being the right quantity for a pie, but when I put them into a freezer bag it just looked kind of skimpy.

How many cups of cherries do you think make for a nice pie?

And has anyone out there tried to make cherry jam/preserves? Was it easy or hard?

I usually fill up a pie tin and then freeze them.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blueangel
    I usually fill up a pie tin and then freeze them.
    Ditto- I have the 'sucky bag' machine that I use ALOT..

LOL, how long did it take to pick 60 pounds of cherries? Do you have to climb up into the trees to do it?

When I make pies I let the pie pan dictate the amount used. And since I like a LOT of fruit in the pie, it is usually 6 to 8 cups. Depending on how much fruit I have also will dictate which pie plate I will use. Since it is just my husband & I now, I have several 6 inch pie plates that make the perfect size for 2 people. But if we have a large group I use m deep dish pie plates.

We had a "Queen Anne" cherry tree growing up, my mother made 2 attempts to make cherry jam/preserves and neither time did it come out right, but it was great ice cream topping. My mother made the best cream pies, but when it came to working with cherries, there was just something that always went wrong for her. So she gave up and the trees were removed before I was old enough to try.

It sounds wonderful, I wish you the best, because fresh cherries are the best!

Oh cherry picking....sounds like so much fun!!! But don't you have to pit them before freezing??? I have no clue as no cherry trees here. :(

Fruit tends to cook down, so you need at least double of the "finished" volume.

As for jam, if you do freezer jam it's not that hard...pretty much crush, stir with sugar + pectin, let sit, pour into jars.

Cooked jam is pretty much the same, but less pectin, cook, pour into sterilized jars, then wait for the lids to suck themselves down.

Blog Entries
    we used to pick cherries on the 3rd hole of the golf course we frequented. the cherries were a bit drippy by the time we finished the round :)

Blog Entries
    Cherry jam/preserves are easy to make and taste oh so wonderful at your holiday table in the middle of winter. Yummy!!

I 'm coming over for pie ! Fabric or cherry pie .. that would be a tough choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast