Great tomato taste?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:42 PM

Hi
About 15 years ago my dh ordered tomato tree plants. Weve been keeping the seeds going every since! The flavor of this tomato has never failed us. The fruit is dense not a lot of seeds.
We've been growing from seed each year and giving away the seedlings now others are hooked and saving seeds. By the way here in Pa we have gravel and rock so we are growing all our plants in special pots that have a well at the bottom. We also have friends all over ordering these pots from the Gardenpatch.com NO affliation!!! Seems the roots go down into the well and the tomato's grow great!!!
We are also growing cherry tmto's and Amish ones. Bought the actual Amish tmto's at a farm stand they were so delicious we have been saving those seeds also. A friend in Long Island has 3 greenhouses and a farm stand she loves heirloom tmto's for their flavor, she also has our tmto tree ones.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:15 PM

One problem we're having up in my corner of Northern California is that the entire summer has been cool. We had a couple of hot weeks back in early July. We mostly have morning fog until noon or two and it never warms up more than an hour or two before getting cold. Everyone I've asked is having the same problem with their tomatoes, they aren't ripening well, take forever and even when they are red and ripe they don't have the flavor this year.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:25 AM

I plant beefsteak and big boy. They usually are good, but this year are plants are going no where. Too hor?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 AM

For really great tomato taste try some of the heirloom varieties and when you find one you really like save some of the seeds. Those old varieties sometimes were not much to look at, but boy what flavor.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Pats8e8
Hi all you gardeners. Are any of you growing tomatoes that really taste good? I have several types growing and am getting very pretty ones, but they don't really taste like a tomato should, you know? What variety names are you growing that taste great?
We have had such hot humid weather this summer that the peels on the tomatoes are so tough and tomatoes have no taste, pitched mine this week tired of messing with them.
Peppers not doing good this year either thanks to the weather.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:47 AM

I thought it was just me, but I agree the past 2 years I've been retired and gardening more consistently the yields and flavors were not that great I too have heard that heirloom are better, but haven't tried them. I have found that putting eggshells around the bast of plants has eliminated blossom end rot for me.

My question is is anyone else having trouble with zucchini? I just planted it the last 2 years and all the plants have developed powdery mildew and rotted just as fruiting developed? so disappointing. i thought they were easy to grow and highly productive. They were bush style in case that matters. We have usually wet summers these 2 years, but not evenly.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:30 PM

Martyr, our zuchinni had powdery mildew last year. This year we moved the garden in closer to the house and I've had no problems. Out in the yard that was so far from the house last year, everything disappeared to rabbits and squirrels. Having them close now I only have one mockingbird that tries to beat me to the red ripe tomatoes. ha I've caught him out there several times. He doesn't want to listen to reason! ha Here is a photo of my two cherry tom plants. One red and one yellow. I think the yellows are good tasting by the way. But these plants are on a 6 foot fence and are well above it now as you can see.

Tall cherry tomatoes
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96033[/ATTACH]

My crop from Wednesday
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96034[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-96028.jpe   attachment-96029.jpe  
Old 08-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Banned

Are you watering to much ? this will make tomatoes that have no flavor. God bless.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:40 PM

There is a small urban farm across the street from me. I got some tomatoes a couple of weeks ago and they were great. She gave me a Purple Cherokee Heirloom(?) tomato It made about 5 sandwiches it was so big. It was soo good I will have to go look in the farm stand and see if they have an "family' tomatoes I can take.