Halloween Costumes

Old 09-14-2016, 05:53 PM

Made DD a poodle skirt as well as Princess Leah and witch costumes (the last one I made she was a senior in high school). DS was Luke Skywalker and the grim reaper and ghosts and.... (his last costume was also made his senior year in high school). I helped decorate the Creeper (from Mine Craft) that the kids use as Christmas decorations. great fun.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:32 AM

I've really enjoyed hearing about everyone's costumes.

Mac, we must have been separated at birth. I couldn't believe it when I read that you had showed up to work in your pajamas. I did the same thing one year. I used to be late to work a little too often, so one Halloween I wore my flannel nightgown and slippers to work, and of course I had curlers in my hair. My story was that I didn't want to risk being late again. And I totally would have gotten your "Bewitched" getup. People just need to put on their thinking caps...
Old 09-15-2016, 09:24 AM

I've made costumes for dogs! We go to a dog rescue Halloween event every year where they have a costume contest. I've made Batman and Robin, Sherlock Holmes, Shortstop (that was a joke since we have dachshunds, short dogs), the Three Musketeers and many others. I sort of quit doing it since the people who judge the contest tend to pick things like the dog with football jersey on and a beer bottle tied around his neck and labelled "Drunk Texans Fan" to win. I guess I don't have bad enough taste in costumes for the group.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:59 PM

One of my most memorable Halloween projects was the year my first son was in kindergarten and my girls were about 3 and 1 year old. Needless to say, I was a very busy, young mom, but I had my mom's sewing machine and I did like to sew. So, I bought patterns and fabric and made a great clown costume for my son for his first school Halloween party and one DD had a bunny costume made with white flannel and the littlest one had a really cute witch costume. Lots of time and effort! Then when Halloween came, I found out that the school didn't allow costumes! I was so disappointed. Unfortunately, a child had been injured while in costume at this school previously, so they decided not to allow them. We were sad about that, although they were able to wear their costumes for trick or treating around the neighborhood, plus they played dress up in them. But, still(:
Old 09-15-2016, 07:30 PM

I didn't make many costumes for my daughter, but I've made costumes for my husband and me. We used to go to a themed costume party every year at the VFW. One year's theme was the Wizard of Oz. i don't even remember what I wore, but I made a pretty elaborate flying monkey costume for my husband. It even had the tiny blue hat perched on the side of his head. He crouched down, monkey walking into the party and all the kids started chasing him around, trying to grab at his tail. One year was Loony Tunes cartoons. I was Miss Priss (I think that's her name--a chicken with a big hat). Again I made an elaborate Foghorn Leghorn costume for my husband, who decided to only speak like he was Foghorn Leghorn. On the way home we went through a burger drive- through (I was driving because my husband had this big red chicken comb on his head). The guy stared and asked is that a big chicken. I don't remember all the costumes. I do recall being a gypsy, my husband being Jimi Hendrix, and us being the Blues Brothers. One year I was Aunt Jemima, but that was a long time ago. It wouldn't be acceptable now. What a lot of fun we had.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:00 AM

Patrice, In regard to the annual event that you attended with your dogs, it sounds as though the judges weren't really being fair about who should really have won. From the way you described your costumes, they must have been adorable! My son used to dress his Boxers up every year for an annual Halloween party. They were usually dressed according to the theme. They were fairies, clowns, super-heroes, etc.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:04 AM

Lori, You and your husband must have had a blast dressing up! A big part of the fun is in deciding what you'll be. Your costumes sound awesome!
Old 09-16-2016, 08:12 AM

I've made Halloween costumes for my girls since they were old enough to walk. When the youngest was 15 months old, I sewed big round felt circles on her one piece zippered sleeper, painted her face clown like and messed up her hair appropriately (not hard as her hair was always a mess). I'd forgotten to get a candy bag, so just gave her an old pillowcase. Very cautiously we approached the first house, said "Trick or Treat" and when she got her first piece of candy, her face lit up, she wiggled out of my arms and ran to the next house. Couldn't keep up with her!! As the evening wore on and the bag got fuller, she wouldn't let me carry that pillowcase and ended up dragging it along behind her. Coincidentally, she showed up at my house yesterday (40 years later) with all the things needed to make costumes for her 2 youngest. Guess what I'm doing today!! LOL Over the years, I've transformed my girls into witches, ghosts, hobos, Templar Knights, a super sized order of McDonald french fries, Carmen Miranda (loved the fake fruit hat), belly dancer. We've done half man half woman, split down from the top of the head to the feet, zombies(before it was a "thing")and snow machiners. That last one is an Alaskan joke. Since we usually have snow on the ground, the kids needed to dress warm. Guess Halloween costumes gave me my start because now, whenever I'm not quilting, I make costumes to sell at our annual Renaissance Faire.