Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Health Insurance - Gotta Make A Choice - Need Your Input >

Health Insurance - Gotta Make A Choice - Need Your Input

Health Insurance - Gotta Make A Choice - Need Your Input

Old 02-27-2011, 12:55 PM

My husband and I are both eligible to chose a new health plan, we are both turning 65. I don't like my retirement plan, for over 65. I've listened to a salesman about an HMO Secure Horizon thru United Health Care. Anyone else in this plan, likes and dislikes? With the little amount we go to drs. we don't mind a co-pay, and most of our current drs. are members of Secure Horizon.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:08 PM

All I can say is: if you are satisfied with the medical care that you receive from your health providers and they accept your plan, join. It is not an end all and you can always change. Continued good health to you.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:31 PM

My mom had Secure Horizon and we didn't have problems. Even when she developed Alzhimers and my sister and I had to deal with them for her there was never any issues. Good luck and yes, continued good health
Old 02-27-2011, 03:05 PM

My Grandpa has it and it has been fine.

We have a program through our local Senior Citizens Center that will help you choose health care. The lady that does it is not a salesman but she has the info from all the companies and can help you compare and understand the terminology. This can be especially helpful when choosing a prescription plan. You might check and see if you have that service.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaB
My husband and I are both eligible to chose a new health plan, we are both turning 65. I don't like my retirement plan, for over 65. I've listened to a salesman about an HMO Secure Horizon thru United Health Care. Anyone else in this plan, likes and dislikes? With the little amount we go to drs. we don't mind a co-pay, and most of our current drs. are members of Secure Horizon.
Here in AZ Secure Horizon doesn't cover the 'extras' very well. This HMO take the place of Medicare...... Being in the medical field and taken care of a person with MS that has Secure Horizon you will only get good coverage when you go to the places that accept it HERE in AZ.... If you travel you may not have coverage.... When I get to the age for this decision I am going with Medicare with a supplemental insurance. The HMO Secure Horizon is NOT the supplemental that they say it is. You will still have to pay the 20% that they don't cover. Think about one hospital stay------DH had open heart surgery unexpected 2 years ago and it was $250,000 for 5 days.....

Good luck on your decision.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:09 PM

My late DH and I researched health care insurance for a long time, with input from our local Senior Citizens group. We finally got Blue Shield of California, which paid for his surgeries without a whimper! And some of them added up to over two hundred fifty thousand!!! I still have it for myself, I don't like the high payments every month since I've not been to a doctor for some years, but since I'm work with several RNs and listen to their advice, I do intend to keep it. At my age you never know what will come up in the future.

My sister was thinking of changing from Blue Shield, and did a little, but not enough research. She went to one of a new company's sales pitches, and was almost ready to change to their plan when one woman present stood up, and could not be silenced while she told of what was and was NOT paid for on this plan. Since sister is volunteering in a hospital she went to one of the financial offices and asked what it did and didn't pay for.

She kept Blue Shield.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:20 PM

I do not know about where you live but I live in Nevada and took out "Mutual Of Omaha" $110.00 per month. but. No co-pays or hospital bills. I then take out Humana - Walmart for prescriptions. After $350.00 a year out of pocket my prescriptions will be about $10.00... I still need to find a good dental plan. I do not have a lot of money but I sure do not want what I do have, to go for Dr. and Hospital bills and lots of co-pays. My mother had Blue Shield and it was great. She took it out way back as a teen when she started working, then added dad and maintain all their life. I think it was called Blue Cross / Blue Shield. Saved her bacon and low payments because she had it for so many years. Good luck on what you do find. :)
Old 02-27-2011, 04:07 PM

We had Secure Horizons last year in Washington, but they discontinued our plan and we had to get new insurance coverage. We didn't have any problems with Secure Horizons, but then we didn't have many medical expenses either. One thing I learned when researching for a new plan is that if you plan to be a snowbird (as we are) you need a plan that will cover you wherever you are. A lot of the plans will only cover you on an emergency basis when you're not in your home state. As we spend 6 months a year in Arizona, we went with Blue Cross/Blue Shield as it will cover us both in Washington and Arizona.