Help Me With My Kitty

Old 05-24-2009, 12:22 PM

Sorry about your Kitty. My boy was doing the same thing a few months ago. Of course he would always pee in my chair. His way of asking for help! I took him to the vet and come to find out he's diabetic. He's now on insulin shots twice a day and doing quite well. Yes it should be very expensive.....but it just so happens my 17 years old daughter has diabetes too! They use the same kind of needles and insulin and the insurance pays it all for her so they share. Also he's on special food at $40.00 a bag. I will be looking at that make your own pet food site.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:44 PM

I m sory about you kitty.
I had a dog have the same thing and ended up spending over $4000 on surgery. It was well worth it. The vet said she needed the "special" food untill I said I cant afford it. She said to get chicken and boil it and add rice and you have the same thing. Plus you dont have all the chemicals in it.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:49 PM

I feel the same way. We just adopted a cat that was supposed to be 8, turns out she's 12. I wonder what I will do when she needs major medical. I thought about returning her but who wants to age alone?

I guess I would do what I could, and find another vet who can possible provide some options. I'm sure there are many people who couldn't pay $$$ to care for a suddenly sick animal.

Think too, anything new going on in the home? New animal? New person? Anything that could have ticked her off? Just a thought...
Old 05-24-2009, 01:09 PM

Emile has been sleeping all afternoon -- but that is nothing new :lol: :lol:

No no person, no new animal, etc. No bloody urine. Eating like a pig (which is also normal) but is drinking lots of water. And then I found more urine on the dining room floor -- so apparently he isn't "stopped up" anymore.

And Butterfli19, I understand how you feel about the 8 year old who turned 12. There are always so many older kitties and dogs at the shelters because at the first sign of illness, that's where people think they ought to go!

Thanks everyone for your support and ideas!! Sometimes it just helps to talk about your problems....and you all are the best!

Old 05-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Irish Heart
I would watch him carefully--if he stops eating/drinking /grooming, he will need the vet. The male urethra is very narrow & if he has crystals, he will plug up & suffer from backup of urine & will not get better on his own. In severe cases, the vet will amputate the penis, open up the urethra to remove crystals & create an opening for the urine.
My daughters cat did this and this description fits the surgery, Romeo had. He may not be a 'Romeo" anymore, but at least they still have him. These things are so painful...uti's and bladder infections, kidneys...ever had one?
I understand about money, but it's down to the wire...he needs relief...one way or the other, and waiting isn't going to make things better.
That is my take on it, sorry, I couldn't give you an easier out.
You could take him out back and shoot him, like hubby used to say about me...
until he got on three of the same meds i take. He is a bit kinder to me, now.
Not making light of your dilemma, I know this must be hard for you. Sorry, life just hands us crap sometimes. He can't talk, so he has done all he can.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

I'm sorry about your cat, I hope that the new food helps!
Old 05-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

hope I didn't sound harsh in my earlier reply, just don't want anything to suffer. I know you don't either. These aren't easy decisions. hug for you. Doesn't sound like a win, any way you go.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
hope I didn't sound harsh in my earlier reply, just don't want anything to suffer. I know you don't either. These aren't easy decisions. hug for you. Doesn't sound like a win, any way you go.
I knew that you didn't mean to seem harsh. It is a hard decision and I still don't know what to do. I feel so bad for him. However, he woke up from his nap and made several trips down to the litter box and then ended up going on the dining room floor. He was so sorry and tried to cover it up. So I'm thinking he just doesn't know when he has to go. Don't know if this is better or not. I locked the kitty door so he can't come upstairs with me (afraid that he will wet down fabric or the carpet) and I feel so guilty. :cry: (Downstairs is all wood or vinyl flooring so he can't hurt anything unless he goes in a chair....) Tomorrow I'm going to call several other places and see if I can find an alternate solution.... :cry:

Old 05-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

I know you feel bad, but your doing the right thing, not to let kitty go on fabric or carpet.
My daughter just brought over my new kitty cat, Ginger. We had decided earlier this afternoon to make it wednesday.
anyway, as she has to get to know me and hubby, and then, get used to our boy kitty, BC, in I hope a few days, she is in here in computer room. I put down some plastic and towels, in front of litter box, but have to keep door closed, bc Brandy said she would claw the furniture.
ok. I'll just keep doing what I been doing, come in and out, but with door closed.
Point is, I have had a kitty in here, oh, about five or six years ago, and, had to strip room of everything, afterwards, and soak down linoleum with baking soda,...then did a wash with vinegar and water, and finally scrubbed with dish soap...to get cat urine smell out.
I am too old to do it again, and hubby is disabled and can't move stuff out of here. please don't let it come to that, but, I think i can feel it coming. oh boy!
She is so sweet though. Funny, when she can't tell who somebody is, like looking out the window...she growls, like a dog! never seen that before. She just had a litter of kittens not quite two months ago. :)
Old 05-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

Joyce, I don't know what to tell you, only you can make the decision concerning your finances..I'm sorry it all comes down to that. I tell you, I have 12 cats..some outside..some inside...some both...all throw aways and I didn't know about this! Wow...I feed Meow Mix outside because it is cheap and I have soo many. They are mostly females though, so maybe it won't be bad for them?

Inside..I feed Whiskas to a couple and I roast chicken for my "old guy". He went off his food a few weeks ago and I was trying canned food...he finally quit eating that and almost starved to death! I started roasting chicken for him and violla' he is back to acting like a kitten. I don't know for how long..he is 13, but for now he is fine.

I sure hope things work out for your family and your fur baby. ((((( Big Hugs for you))))))