Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: House-hunting drama

  1. #1
    skippitydodahquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lima, Ohio
    Posts
    186
    okay, so DH and I just sold our first home. Yesterday we looked at a bigger house that we fell in love with. We are prepared to make a reasonable offer, when our agent calls and says that the seller doesn't even know if she wants to sell her home! WHAT?!

    I'm so upset. We've looked at almost 75 homes, and I really felt like this one was 'the one', you know? I just don't understand why someone would put a home on the market, just to jerk people around. She has until Friday to decide what she wants to do.

    I've heard people living in their homes for long periods of time can get attached, but she's a 30 year old, newly divorced woman who needs to sell because she can't afford the mortgage (according to her agent). So, I don't understand what the problem is. Now I'm afraid if she does decide to stay on the market, she won't accept anything other than full asking price, which the house needs some repairs and I refuse to pay full price for something that needs necessary repairs that she should have been responsible for.

    Okay, that's my two cents. I think some serious sewin' is in order for me!

  2. #2
    Super Member CoriAmD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lake Orion, Mich
    Posts
    1,628
    I would encourage your agent to take her an offer anyway. If she sees something in writing, she might just decide to take it. Of course, if you are offering lower than her asking price, I would definately write an explanation as to why (the repairs, etc). And do tell your agent you are willing to look at a counter offer... will keep fingers crossed for you!

  3. #3
    Senior Member grendelskin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    315
    I'm with Cori, make an offer. If it's the right house, it'll work out. We had lots of drama buying our home: we had three signed contracts before we landed the foreclosed-upon fixer-upper we live in now! I got the inspector to give me a frequent-buyer discount when we got to the third house!!

  4. #4
    Super Member Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    8,906
    Blog Entries
    1
    Make an offer. She can refuse, but at least she will be aware there is a serious buyer. Good luck.

  5. #5
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    1,ooo miles from home
    Posts
    12,792
    Blog Entries
    2
    just be happy she doesn't raise her price. i've seen that happen recently.

  6. #6
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    31,246
    Blog Entries
    194
    make an offer and if the house is meant for you, you will get it

    be sure to have an inspection

  7. #7
    skippitydodahquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lima, Ohio
    Posts
    186
    We're going to make an offer tomorrow morning. It's on the market for $135,900 and we're making an offer of $130,000, and she needs to either fix the floor in the kitchen (the laminate is coming apart and it's cracked, which they tried to hide with a rug) and she needs to have a door replaced (she cut a huge hole in the bottom!), or she needs to give us an allowance to fix it ourselves.

    The backyard needs a total overhaul and it's just...really dirty. Like, not messy, but dirty and unclean (mold in the coffee pot!). The whole thing is just really weird, but if she rejects our offer, she has to take it off the market (according to her agent).

  8. #8
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    23,745
    Good luck.

  9. #9
    Senior Member BeckyL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    903
    Why would she have to take it off the market if you don't make a full price offer?

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,234
    Unless the rules are very different in your state, the seller is free to reject any offer she wants, especially given that it isn't full price. The repairs seem fairly minor, so the big question is what do the comps say it is worth? The asking price is only a starting point and may or may not reflect reality. Our seller refused to fix anything, but we felt that the house was still worth what we had offered and went ahead anyway.

    Good luck - I hope things work out for you and you find your dream home :-)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.