Housebreaking a puppy.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:38 AM

Is anyone out there training a new puppy?. I need some tried and true tips. Thanks I really appreciate any advise. I have a 9 week old American Eskimo. He is pretty smart. I may be expecting too much too soon.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:40 AM

Keep an eye on him, any time you think he might be squatting, take him outside. Make sure that you take him out at least every two hours.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Cyn

After months of a new beagle puppy that was rescued from a cage peeing on my floors, we sent her to a boarding school $$$$ but. it was her last chance to live here :( Two years later, she has never had another accident :) I've raised a ton of puppies and this was my first experience like this! Crate training, puppy papers, great timing and another well trained dog has always worked before for me.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Many people swear by crating the puppy. They don't like to mess where they sleep.

I have always had great luck with frequent outside trips and over the top praise when ever they do the potty outside. In fact my current dog is now 12 and I still to this day praise her when she does her business outside and she has been potty trained since she was a baby. It has been a long time since I trained her though so I can't remember how old she was, I do remember she learned quick.

The dog before OMG he was awful to train. In fact he was so bad I trained him to not walk anywhere in the house that was carpeted. He learned that pretty quick so cleaning up messes was tons easier. Maybe about a month after learning "off the rug" he finally grasped to pee outside. But the off the rug training stuck as well so it was a godsend when bringing him inside on rainy muddypaws days.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:44 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Animals generally don't soil their own sleeping, resting space. Keep him crate confined, take him out frequently to 'go' outside, then allow him to play a bit with the family in their space. Return him to the crate when you are thinking it's near time again, then take him outside again after a while.

Always crate for a bit following meals, then take him outside to 'go'. Lots of praise when he does, so watch for it.

He'll catch on quickly that going outside brings fun playtime inside with his people.

Jan in VA
Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 AM

Dogs bladders are not truly ready for extended holding until 10 weeks so be very persistent on taking him outside as often as possible until then. After 10 weeks you can start making it longer periods so they learn how to stay without you for four hours or so without peeing. I also find if you use the puppy training pads and slowly move them towards the door they will int ime go right to the door so you will know to let them out.
Crate training is about making the pup feel safe..the crate is like a den so it cannot be used as punishment or you will never be successful in getting him to use it correctly...place a nice warm blanket, maybe a toy in there and leave it in rooms you are in...when he is tired leave the door open so he can go in at will and lie there and know it is his place....Good luck puppies are fun :-)
Any pics??
Hugs
April
Old 03-03-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Animals generally don't soil their own sleeping, resting space. Keep him crate confined, take him out frequently to 'go' outside, then allow him to play a bit with the family in their space. Return him to the crate when you are thinking it's near time again, then take him outside again after a while.

Always crate for a bit following meals, then take him outside to 'go'. Lots of praise when he does, so watch for it.

He'll catch on quickly that going outside brings fun playtime inside with his people.

Jan in VA
Thank you for the tips I will crate him after his meal, then take him outside,praise, then play time with the family. It sounds promising.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 AM

Thank you so much for the information. I am having fun with my new pup.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
Dogs bladders are not truly ready for extended holding until 10 weeks so be very persistent on taking him outside as often as possible until then. After 10 weeks you can start making it longer periods so they learn how to stay without you for four hours or so without peeing. I also find if you use the puppy training pads and slowly move them towards the door they will int ime go right to the door so you will know to let them out.
Crate training is about making the pup feel safe..the crate is like a den so it cannot be used as punishment or you will never be successful in getting him to use it correctly...place a nice warm blanket, maybe a toy in there and leave it in rooms you are in...when he is tired leave the door open so he can go in at will and lie there and know it is his place....Good luck puppies are fun :-)
Any pics??
Hugs
April
April: Thank you for the tips. Hugs,Diane
Old 03-03-2011, 08:54 AM

i was taught that a dog can hold its water one hour for every month of age. a four month old then,should be able to wait for four hours between walks. Crate training is great too. there are some good books on training--I have an 8 year old and a 10 year old so it's been a while. Plus, they're both rescues so came to me a little older. My 10yo was 7 months and had no clue about training. I'd walk her for 2 hours and she would come in and then pee. it took me going psycho on her to convince her to pee outside--literally. I think she had never heard anyone yell, much less go berserk! since then, no accidents! the 8 year old was much easier. We got her at four and with her history, she barely peed at all--I had an animal communicator to help. Neither has accidents now unless ill. OF course, always on the carpetted area not the tile-

ah well, they give so much more than the work they require it's all good

Laurie