Housebreaking a puppy.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by nycquilter
i was taught that a dog can hold its water one hour for every month of age. a four month old then,should be able to wait for four hours between walks. Crate training is great too. there are some good books on training--I have an 8 year old and a 10 year old so it's been a while. Plus, they're both rescues so came to me a little older. My 10yo was 7 months and had no clue about training. I'd walk her for 2 hours and she would come in and then pee. it took me going psycho on her to convince her to pee outside--literally. I think she had never heard anyone yell, much less go berserk! since then, no accidents! the 8 year old was much easier. We got her at four and with her history, she barely peed at all--I had an animal communicator to help. Neither has accidents now unless ill. OF course, always on the carpetted area not the tile-

ah well, they give so much more than the work they require it's all good

Laurie
Thank you Laurie. I will be more patient. I wish that I was more computer savy so I could post his picture for all my quilting friends to see. He is really such a love.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 AM

I worked at a humane society for 12 years and have trained MANY! One thing you need to remember to curb your frustration level is that puppy's bladders are not yet ABLE to control that flow even if they have the general idea of what to do. Be consistent is number one rule! Take the pup out one door only each time -not every door of the house-until the training is done. And be consistent with times -after a rough play session -after a meal - first thing in morning etc. All pups we had there were trained by four months old -and that's how long their bladder will take also (4 -6 months) to mature.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:09 AM

Take a few days to DEVOTE to house training.
Be ever vigilant. Do not get distracted.
Catch pup just before urination/defecation as he/she begins to squat
Pick pup up, rush outside and PRAISE when deed done
Be CONSISTENT.
NEVER get angry, yell or hit pup if he/she has an accident
Good idea to use a phrase such as "get busy" which is to be repeated over and over until the pup does his/her deed. He/she learns to urinate on command which will be very useful to you throughout his/her lifetime.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by quiltgran2
Take a few days to DEVOTE to house training.
Be ever vigilant. Do not get distracted.
Catch pup just before urination/defecation as he/she begins to squat
Pick pup up, rush outside and PRAISE when deed done
Be CONSISTENT.
NEVER get angry, yell or hit pup if he/she has an accident
Good idea to use a phrase such as "get busy" which is to be repeated over and over until the pup does his/her deed. He/she learns to urinate on command which will be very useful to you throughout his/her lifetime.
Thank you so Much for the advise.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by sisLH
I worked at a humane society for 12 years and have trained MANY! One thing you need to remember to curb your frustration level is that puppy's bladders are not yet ABLE to control that flow even if they have the general idea of what to do. Be consistent is number one rule! Take the pup out one door only each time -not every door of the house-until the training is done. And be consistent with times -after a rough play session -after a meal - first thing in morning etc. All pups we had there were trained by four months old -and that's how long their bladder will take also (4 -6 months) to mature.
THANK YOU FOR THIS INFORMATION. I THINK THAT I'M ON THE RIGHT TRACK.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:21 AM

We have always crate trained ours. Works great. but when puppy is out and about and free to roam, you really dont want to let them out of your site. If they really start sniffing the ground, take them out. Make sure you reward him/her after going outside. Lots of praise. Maybe even a little snack.
Whatever you...its got to be consistant. Good luck..Post a pic!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:53 AM

Siberians and Malamutes have been my most difficult to train dogs. You need to be super viligant and, yes, in the case of one, lose your temper, but not until she was nine months old. I had been told wolfdogs can't be housetrained - Not in my house. She was perfect after that.

What format are your pictures in? on a digital camera or on your computer? I need my northern breed puppy fix.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:59 PM

don't praise a dog too soon. Be sure he has finished going potty so that when you take him back in he doesn't go. Praising him too soon could get him excited and he will stop going. If you keep him in a crate be sure the crate is small. If its too big put some sort of division in it so he can just have room to lay down. If its too big he will go in the cage. Take him out after he has been in the cage after he eats and after playing with him. always put him right back in the cage. Be sure to watch him when he is out and don't let him out of your site. They are like little kids and can get into everything.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:28 PM

crate training always worked for us-as soon as you take the puppy out of the crate, take her out, then let her play inside. Usually only takes a couple of days.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:47 PM

Take him out as soon as he is thru napping, getting a drink or eating.