Housebreaking a puppy.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:52 AM

Yes, we have a 4-1/2 month old Chocolate Lab (got him when he was 9 weeks). Per the vet, puppies just can't physically "get" potty training until about 6 months of age. We've had Hershey neutered already (he was getting aggressive with the cat). This week (bordering on 5 months old) he seems to be very good. We have, however, started obedience training, and they had some tips for potty training, like "tie stations" in every room of the house to restrict his moving around to a doggie bed with some toys. Usually dogs won't make a mess where they lie down. Seems to be working. You would just use the "tie station" when you can't watch him closely every minute. The tie stations in every room where you are keep him "connected" to you.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 AM

I am not sure if it's called puppy training or people training (((giggle)))(((giggle)))but either way. Our family dog (of 11 years) that we just recently had to have put down (a rare and malignant bone cancer) we had gotten as a puppy Took her out starting about once an hour, then eventually every 2, then 3 and then 4. I think the whole training time we might of had 2 mistakes and them were because we missed the "Que". We always went out the same door, and first thing in the morning, and directly after every meal, and before bedtime. At night we fenced off the kitchen with linoleum with a child gate and put newspaper down just in case.. The second dog we have also have no problems with did the same thing with. She is now going to have babies in 2 weeks.
Enjoy the "puppy years" they even go by TOO fast....
Old 03-04-2011, 07:00 AM

I trained our pug. I took him outside often --after meals and especially when I saw him sniffing around. Each time he did his business I had a small treat that I gave him as well as over the top effusive praise and petting. It didn't take him long to WANT to use the potty outside. He wanted the snuggles and treat. The transition to going on his own was a snap too. It just became natural to him to want to use the out of doors. It was tough that first week but we've never had an accident since. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:15 AM

My friend put a bell at the door that the dog could ring with his nose. He learned that it meant go outside. It really works and the dogs caught on fast.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:53 AM

I have 2 dogs that I am retraining and am so frustrated I could pull my hair out. If they were not such a comfort to my husband they would be gone. We had them trained and then we had them fixed and ever since it is back to ground zero and this has been a year and a half ago. It is starting to get better now but good grief, I have always had cats and dogs inside and never had such a problem. The vet said that the surgery could not have traumiotized them being males but what happened?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:20 AM

We got our puppy at about 9 weeks. His breeder had put the litter in a puppy pen near a dog door and an open slider. The pups watched their mom go out and followed. We never had an issue, we crated him while we were gone and at night and he went willingly out the door. He was too small to use the doggy door so we left our outside door cracked until he could reach the doggy door.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Having owned many dogs over the years I highly recommend crating the dogs when you can't keep an eye on them, as in going to the store, etc.

When you are home, keep an eye on them and as soon as they wake up, take them outside and PRAISE them when they do their duty out there.

12 years ago I had 4 dogs, all rescue dogs, arrive at my home, three puppies and one adult. With the 12 week old puppies I felt as if I had a mop attached to my hand 24/7. I went and bought crates and problem solved.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
I have a labradoodle puppy well she will be a year old March 28. I crate her she feels safe, dogs re den animals and her crate is her den. At this point, actually it was a few weeks ago if she had an accident she would sit in her crate, all the way in the back that is why I knew to look around. Puppies need to go out often I read for for every month they are they should be able to hold it 1 hour. So at 2 months they should hold it 2 hours 3 months 3 hours. Also once they eat wait about 20 minute and take them out, they will poo MOST TIMES. If you wait more then 20 minutes they will use your floor. If it happens to poo on the floor don't throw it away instead bring it out to the area you want the puppy to go and leave it on the ground the puppy will smell its own scent aand know that is where it should go. I didn't read this I did it on my own when I took her out if she used the potty I would praise her and give her a treat. The only time she got treats was when I was training her to sit and to be potty trained. I didn't give her treats any other time.

It will get better........I promise.
Thank you for the suggestions on potty training tips. I think that I am on the right track. The morning is the best time for my pup. He goes poo and pea in the proper area and on time. Lunch time seems almost as good. It's after his 7:00 PM feeding that he seems to take his own sweet time. Also he seems to want to drink a great deal of water. Is this a common practice for puppies?
Again I appreciate all your help. I do reward him with a tiny treat and praise. He is also learning how to sit. I think he is pretty smart for a young pup.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Siberians and Malamutes have been my most difficult to train dogs. You need to be super viligant and, yes, in the case of one, lose your temper, but not until she was nine months old. I had been told wolfdogs can't be housetrained - Not in my house. She was perfect after that.

What format are your pictures in? on a digital camera or on your computer? I need my northern breed puppy fix.
I have a digital camera and my pictures are also in my computer.
I'm just not sure how to send them to this forum. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Diane 647
Old 03-04-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by sisLH
I worked at a humane society for 12 years and have trained MANY! One thing you need to remember to curb your frustration level is that puppy's bladders are not yet ABLE to control that flow even if they have the general idea of what to do. Be consistent is number one rule! Take the pup out one door only each time -not every door of the house-until the training is done. And be consistent with times -after a rough play session -after a meal - first thing in morning etc. All pups we had there were trained by four months old -and that's how long their bladder will take also (4 -6 months) to mature.
Thank you so much for the wonderful advise. Diane 647