Housebreaking a puppy.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:50 PM

Nature's Miracle from pet shop is wonderful.. If dog has an accident on the carpet, blot it immediately, spray it well and blot again. Then use a final light spray. Carpet won't stain. I found this out accidentally. I keep some on hand for whenever I need to get rid of any smell around the house.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:09 AM

my vet said give a free rain of water. However I filled the bowl when i saw it was empty and didnt give water after 8 in the evening. He only slept in the cage for a few months. After that he slept and now sleeps in our room next to our bed in his doggie bed. He comes to us when he has to go outside and whines. He would drive me crazy if we gave him a bell. He would have us trained not vise versa. he loves to go out I think he would ring it just to see if we would get up to take him out. Not cause he had to go.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:05 AM

Hang a bell on the door knob of the door you wish the puppy to use for going out. Take its paw and have him ring that bell every time you take him out. I have used this method for about 3 dogs and it worked everytime after getting so frustrated. SO thankful someone shared this tip with me. Yep, I relate to training a beagle. Not fun...but this worked like a charm. Once they got older I was able to take that bell down but that taught them to go to that door and ring the bell when nature called. Just a cheap simple bells works..like from a craft dept. Might need a couple if using something really small. Just hang them from a ribbon from the knob.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:36 AM

Crate training is the only way to go in my opinion. It's always worked for us.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:09 AM

I would like to thank everyone for all the helpful information on housebreaking a puppy.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:25 AM

So far things are going better. I think I just have to lighten up
thanks for the help.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:31 AM

With our boxer he was crate trained during the day and nights they will not go where they sleep. During the day he was limited to how much of the house he had access to, we used baby gates to block areas off. You can buy pads to go on the floor for pups its the same type of material we use in the hospital on patients beds for a leakage. We put that down and kept putting him on the pads when he looked like he wanted to tinkle.
We noticed that when he would start sneefing around and started turning in ciricles it was the sign I want to go. Took about 2 months to get him trained. Now he goes and sits by the door if he wants out, hope this helps I know its not easy potty training them but its well worth it in the end.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 AM

I think that I may be trying too hard. I think also that I need to use one method and stick to it so I don't confuse the dog. I am unsure of how much water he needs, He is 10 weeks old and weighs about 5lbs.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:20 AM

I swear by the book "HouseBreak your Dog in 7 Days". It is a wealth of info and gives sensible crating timetables based on the age of your pup. 7 Days? I'd never want to push a dog that quickly and expect prefect house manners after 1 week, but its helpful to have a game-plan that is spelled out for EVERYONE in the house to follow! :)

Good luck and give your new pup a hug for me!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Millstream Mom
I swear by the book "HouseBreak your Dog in 7 Days". It is a wealth of info and gives sensible crating timetables based on the age of your pup. 7 Days? I'd never want to push a dog that quickly and expect prefect house manners after 1 week, but its helpful to have a game-plan that is spelled out for EVERYONE in the house to follow! :)

Good luck and give your new pup a hug for me!
THANK YOU I WILL READ THE BOOK, AND GIVE ROCKY A HUG FROM YOU. DIANE 647