Housebreaking a puppy.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:08 PM

We have a new lab puppy, 4 mos. old. We have two bells (like Christmas bells) that hang from our sliding glass door handle. We have trained him to touch the bells with his nose when we wants to go outside. We were very vigilant in watching him and when he started to do something inside, we picked him up quickly, and said "outside potty" When we got to the door, we rang the bells and said it again... "outside potty" After he was done, we gave him all kinds of praises... Now he goes right over to the door, rings the bell with his nose, and gets let outside. I love it!
He is such a good puppy ;)
Old 03-03-2011, 06:11 PM

Lots and lots of praise and play - but only after he does his business. He'll soon equate the two and he'll be trained in no time.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:21 PM

I used the crate training method and also taught him to go right away outside. If he didn't go within the first few minutes, I put him back in the crate for about 20-30 min then took him back outside and kept repeating this until he went. Then he got lots of praise and got to play outside for a while. Of course, at the time I wasn't working so could devote the time. He's about 5 1/2 now and I'm working again so two days a week he has to hold it for about twelve and a half to thirteen hours. I don't stop anywhere on the way home those days. He hasn't messed in the house in years.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:48 PM

I treat a new puppy like a toddler.....If I can not have them right in my sight, they are crated in some way. One word of caution on crating...do NOT use it as a punishment. I leave a blankie in there and it stays by her food and water even now....she gets into it anytime she wants to be alone. :D Also, just like a toddler.....after we nap, eat or play....we gotta go potty :D
Old 03-03-2011, 11:07 PM

i got my puppy at 6 weeks. every time he got up from sleeping id take him right outside. after he ate and right before he was going to go back to sleep. i carried him for about the first 2 weeks. Always praise him wen he went outside. but he was pretty much potty trained after that. he is now 4 months old and he has only had a couple of accidents inside. a few were my fault, not paying attention to him by the door he went right next to the door, not just some place in the house... and the other he wasn't let out before we left the house and we don't have a doggy door...
Old 03-04-2011, 05:51 AM

I am training my puppy right now. I do not know if he is trained or if I am. But I watch him all the time. Doing pretty good. Never messes at night. I wish I had used the bell bit.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:52 AM

are you crate training him? I have 2 wire fox terriers, and they both had to be crate trained. Use the ones that have the petition, that can be moved as he grows. Place it so he only has room to lay down, nothing extra, and move it as he progresses, only a little at a time though. There are dirtections ont he net, for doing this, and it works.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:55 AM

I agree with Diane647. Having trained many myself. I would only add two suggestions. Take them to the general area you wish them to use. And after they are finished doing their business offer them a small treat to reinforce the idea. And I mean small, the size of your thumbnail. It is just a treat for being a good boy/girl. I own a Lab/Husky mix and if yours is anything like my girl, you are in for a treat. She is goofy and very, very smart. Except for last weeks run in with a skunk!! She wasn't smart enough to leave him alone:-)
Old 03-04-2011, 05:56 AM

I agree with Diane647. Having trained many myself. I would only add two suggestions. Take them to the general area you wish them to use. And after they are finished doing their business offer them a small treat to reinforce the idea. And I mean small, the size of your thumbnail. It is just a treat for being a good boy/girl. I own a Lab/Husky mix and if yours is anything like my girl, you are in for a treat. She is goofy and very, very smart. Except for last weeks run in with a skunk!! She wasn't smart enough to leave him alone:-)
Old 03-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Banned

I have a labradoodle puppy well she will be a year old March 28. I crate her she feels safe, dogs re den animals and her crate is her den. At this point, actually it was a few weeks ago if she had an accident she would sit in her crate, all the way in the back that is why I knew to look around. Puppies need to go out often I read for for every month they are they should be able to hold it 1 hour. So at 2 months they should hold it 2 hours 3 months 3 hours. Also once they eat wait about 20 minute and take them out, they will poo MOST TIMES. If you wait more then 20 minutes they will use your floor. If it happens to poo on the floor don't throw it away instead bring it out to the area you want the puppy to go and leave it on the ground the puppy will smell its own scent aand know that is where it should go. I didn't read this I did it on my own when I took her out if she used the potty I would praise her and give her a treat. The only time she got treats was when I was training her to sit and to be potty trained. I didn't give her treats any other time.

It will get better........I promise.