Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How can one tell if their dog needs a buddy? >

How can one tell if their dog needs a buddy?

How can one tell if their dog needs a buddy?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 AM

When our little Morkie was 13, we brought a puppy into the house, small like her, a MaltiPom. The Morkie lived three more years. The only thing that was good about it was the fact we had another furbaby when we lost her.

She never made up with the puppy, was jealous, angry at times, if we played with the puppy, she 'stole' the toy. After awhile the puppy even got angry that she was stealing her show. At night, the spot beside my DH on the recliner was the Morkie's. And if the puppy tried to jump off, well queen of the hill, chased her off.

When she died, I showed the now three year old, so she could say goodbye. Although for a couple of weeks, she did act as if she was hunting for the other furbaby. So for almost four years now, she has been the Queen on the hill.

We will never bring in another 'friend' until we no longer have this one. I feel if they are raised together, they will always get along. If you bring in a newcomer, there is always a jealousy and hurt feelings, especially for the older dog. If you have three or four dogs, that too may been a different story.

We still miss that little Morkie so much even tho this one is sweet as can be. But I feel we put a lot of stress in the older one's life by trying to bring in a friend for her.
That's just my story, it may have worked in other homes.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

When I took in my MIL little dog puppy my 1 toy poodle did not like her and the puppy would run into the other toy poodle and knock her over, she just had too much energy for the 15 year olds. They were glad when the puppy went home - it created a lot of stress for me - trying to keep peace. I would not do it again. When these go I will proably get another - only one this time.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
We had two--Suzy and Shimano--sisters. Suzy died last summer--very sad. Shimano is almost 11. I don't really want another dog at this point because she's so easy. But, how can we tell if she needs a buddy? What are the signs?
Well when my poodle died ,our black lab got in the barn & chewed up the boat seat covers. Still don't know how she got in there. My daddy called one day & said the cutest poodle came up in the driveway & made his self to home. Well nobody ever came looking for him & dad checked the papers for inquiries so guess who came to dinner? Miss Sadie was so happy with her new buddy. It made all the difference in the world. Don't care what anybody says, animals grieve too.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:26 PM

I had two sister Borzoi and lost one of them last year. They were 10 at the time and had been together since birth and I feared Fiona would be lost without her best pal Larisa. One could not leave the room without the other getting up to go see where she went.

Well long story short, Fiona has never been happier. She is now able to leave the room without being followed, eat her cookies in peace and she still has another "brother" to boss around should the need arise. I too don't want to add dogs at my age so I was happy with the adjustment. I'm sure yours will adjust as well.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 PM

People tend to put human feelings on to their pets..She will be fine by herself as long as she gets the attention shes used to ..getting another pet is something you really need to think about because when shes gone you'll still have the one you got for company..you could do this to eternity..LOL
Old 01-29-2010, 09:32 AM

I don't think I would get another. She gets the attention that she needs at her age and if there was another dog she might not adjust well . If another dog was younger it might cause an aggressive problem also.