Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do I make a PDF smaller? >

How do I make a PDF smaller?

How do I make a PDF smaller?

Old 03-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I looked online and I find suggestions of using zip files with won't work for what I want to do. I tried downloading Adobe acrobat 7 and it says I have it but it doens't sbow up in my programs either on the list or in the control panel. It isn't in my list of programs when I use the open with in the menu. The download said it was downloaded but my pc usually has a new program popup and I never saw that this time. so I am wondering if for some reason it didnt' really download even tho it said it was installed.

I am at my wit's end trying to figure this out. I am using an Ebay program and it won't allow a PDF larger than 300k. My pdf is 1010k. I need to make it smaller.

Any ideas?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:53 AM

Try downloading the update again and note where it downloads or change the download location to your desktop. If the program does not run, then open the folder it downloaded to (or on your desktop_ and click the icon to run the program.
BTW, do you mean Reader 7? Acrobat is the program that you have to buy that allows you to make PDF's. Reader is the free program that allows you to view/print PDF's.

Another option would be to download PDF Creator which is a free program that allows you to make PDF's. http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
Using PDF Creator may allow you to change the size of the PDF.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Google Goddess

thanks for this information

Originally Posted by qbquilts
Try downloading the update again and note where it downloads or change the download location to your desktop. If the program does not run, then open the folder it downloaded to (or on your desktop_ and click the icon to run the program.
BTW, do you mean Reader 7? Acrobat is the program that you have to buy that allows you to make PDF's. Reader is the free program that allows you to view/print PDF's.

Another option would be to download PDF Creator which is a free program that allows you to make PDF's. http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
Using PDF Creator may allow you to change the size of the PDF.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I looked online and I find suggestions of using zip files with won't work for what I want to do. I tried downloading Adobe acrobat 7 and it says I have it but it doens't sbow up in my programs either on the list or in the control panel. It isn't in my list of programs when I use the open with in the menu. The download said it was downloaded but my pc usually has a new program popup and I never saw that this time. so I am wondering if for some reason it didnt' really download even tho it said it was installed.

I am at my wit's end trying to figure this out. I am using an Ebay program and it won't allow a PDF larger than 300k. My pdf is 1010k. I need to make it smaller.

Any ideas?

Another program to check out is Win2PDF. This allows a word document, or web page or whatever to be printed and/or saved as a pdf file.

It, Win2PDF, installs as a printer option. You do not have to actual print on paper to use the program. It always asks and gives you the option to save first. I just keep my printer not connected so I only print when I want to.

It is a free program, to use for personal use. If and when you do want to print anything, you omit the last page with program information.

I use it when paying for anything online or doing anything where I want to capture the webpage.

I'm not sure if this would help in your situation. You may be able to resize the original in this program before printing thus saving the size, but that would need to be checked.

Pam M
Old 03-20-2011, 09:59 AM

I have the full version of Acrobat. PM me your email address and I'll reduce it for you.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:20 AM

Rhonda, not a real authority on alot of programs on computers....However, kids have told me that when you install or uninstall a program "sometimes" you have to "reboot" the system for it to work...

Originally Posted by Rhonda

Any ideas?
Old 03-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by zipit
I have the full version of Acrobat. PM me your email address and I'll reduce it for you.
I just downloaded the free trial of Adobe Acrobat pro x.
I still don't know how to use it where to go to use it etc.

I still don't see it anywhere. I have had the windows saying it is ready to use but how do i use it?

I appreciate the offer and will take you up on it but I want to learn how to do this for myself too.

I have several files I want to do.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I have no problem making a PDF file but I just don't know how to make it smaller. I can reduce a picture no problem but apparently don't have the right program for reducing a PDF.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:37 AM

What version of Windows?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by zipit
What version of Windows?
I have windows xp. There is surely a relatively easy way to make a PDF smaller. My PDF is ove 1000k and it needs to be under 300. so looks like a straight line to me! LOL but just gotta find the right path here.