Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How I Spent the 4th of July Eve >

How I Spent the 4th of July Eve

How I Spent the 4th of July Eve

Old 07-04-2010, 09:07 AM

Ruby and Sam are my precious dogs.
At about 7:00 PM, I gave Ruby a 2.5 mg of Melatonin. I used Benadryl in the past and it didn't help, so I'm trying the Melatonin. I will not use ACE. I rubbed Ruby's neck and shoulders with lavender oil. I put a calming collar on her. A calming collar is fabric filled with soothing type herbs. Also, gave her some Rescue Remedy, it's a liquid consisting of calming/soothing herbs. About 8:30, I gave Ruby another dose of Melatonin. The firecrackers started. She was freaking out. Sam was reacting to Ruby's stress. It started to sound like the war was in progress. I put both dogs in the laundry room with the aire conditioning running and turned the overhead exhaust fan on. The laundry room is right next to the kitchen. The exhaust fan over the stove sounds like a jet flying over. I turned it on, as well, hoping it might muffle the sounds of the firecrackers. It did, but not enough. Ruby was pawing at the door. I am currently reading 'Spoken From the Heart' by Laura Bush. I took my book and a chair in the laundry room and read, aloud, to my dogs. After a few minutes, they did settle down. I continued reading to them until my eyes gave out. As soon as I stopped reading, they started pacing. I got a quilt and put it on the floor and laid down with them. We all fell asleep. It was about 11:00. After about 30-45 minutes, my old body told me that I couldn't sleep on the floor. I got up and everyone else started pacing. I went to bed and left the dogs in the laundry room. My husband, very conveniently, fell asleep in the chair, watching TV. The firecrackers were still going, but the biggest part was over. Ruby started pawing at the door again. I let the dogs in the bedroom and invited them on the bed. Sam got up and laid down. Ruby got up and started pacing and walking on my head and all over me trying to get higher. When she tried to stand on the night stand, I put a leash on her and kept her by my side and didn't let her move. The firecrackers stopped about 1:00 AM. When Keith got up about 3:00 AM to come to bed, he saw us all in the bed and decided to sleep in the chair. This morning he told me that he 'had a miserable night'...........HELLO.....

I'm sure I will have a repeat of the same thing tonight. Maybe I can take a nap and read for a longer time.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:09 AM

Oh, I hope your evening tonight goes better. Poor dog, just doesn't like the noise.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Google Goddess

our dog shih tzu doesn't like them, but last night he heard them so I took him outside to see them and now he doesn't get scared, he knows what the noise was (really it worked)

I picked him up and told him ooh so pretty, look and he enjoyed them, he is so funny
Old 07-04-2010, 09:24 AM

We use to have Kerry Blues and they would start whimpering and pacing at least hour before thunderstorms and fireworks were not fun for them.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

My dog I had for years hated firecrackers. The fourth was a nightmare. I felt so sorry for her. Our new little dog could care less. I still don't get to sleep because of the noise but at least to dog is happy. I hope tonight goes better for you.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:34 AM

It is about 2pm and our Border Collie is already freaking out. We got home from going out to lunch after church and he was 'hiding' in a small space between our big grill and our house. Now that we are home, he is better. We will bring him inside closer to evening. How is it that he instinctively knows that there will be fireworks this evening?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Pam B
It is about 2pm and our Border Collie is already freaking out. We got home from going out to lunch after church and he was 'hiding' in a small space between our big grill and our house. Now that we are home, he is better. We will bring him inside closer to evening. How is it that he instinctively knows that there will be fireworks this evening?
They can smell the sulfur from last night's firecrackers. I feel so sorry for the animals that the owners don't have a clue that they are frightened.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Pam

Kathy, sure wish you could have brought your dogs here, we are very rural and I did not hear a thing.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:43 AM

I used to experience the same thing with our 85 lb Rottweiller/Lab mix. She was petrified. We would put her under the covers between us and each keep a hand on her. She was still restless: but not in a panic. Now I have 3 little dogs, none of which seem to be bothered. Go figure.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Banned

poor puppies. fireworks are so hard on their sensitive ears