Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many have breast cancer >

How many have breast cancer

How many have breast cancer

Old 10-01-2010, 01:48 PM

In support of mammograms, Curves for Women is offering free registration this month with a receipt showing proof of your mammagram. The normal registration price is $99.00 so this is a great deal, not to mention the good it will to have the mammogram and get some great and fun exercise. I can't show proof of a mammogram since I had a double mastectomy, but I am planning on signing up anyway. Exercise and weight control are both proven to be factors in preventing breast cancer as well as many other types of cancer.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:53 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

i lost my mother in law to lung cancer. It was caught so late that it was spreading like wildfire. Three different types of Chemo in less than 6 months did nothing but accelerate the cancer more. She did her yearly check-ups & her mammograms- the only thing different was her insurance decided to cancel chest x rays during yearly checkups anymore that year before..

My maternal aunt of 84- 2 year survivor
my second maternal cousin 1 yr survivor
my first maternal cousin stage 4-still fighting

my late maternal grandfather- lung cancer- lost the battle
My late paternal grandmother-Intestinal cancer- Lost the battle

Hubbies 4 out of 7 aunts are survivors of breast cancer-with one re-occurring but still surviving

I remember when we knew a friend that had a friend that had a friend that had cancer.. Now its here, right next to us..too close to home..
Old 10-01-2010, 02:04 PM

I am a 19 year survivor. I had a squamous cell carcinoma and the end of my epiziotomy scar. I had to have a modified radical vulvectomy. It was a 7 1/2 hour surgery. They will never get me on the table again.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:13 PM

I had a lumpectomy, chemo, radiation in 2002. I have a 48 year old daughter who is retarded and epileptic and I know she is the reason I am still here. We say, "we are a team, Debbie, me and our two cats". I don't have anyone to take care of her so I have to take care of myself, which has been something new for me. I am so Blessed in many ways. Blessings to all. Kathryn
Old 10-01-2010, 02:27 PM

I had breast cancer in 1986. No recurrence. Nearly 25 years ago.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:38 PM

I was diagnosed with breast cancer Feb 2010. Have had surgery, 4 rounds of chemo and 3 weeks left of radiation! Just waiting for the radiation to end to get the official all clear. I agree with you NancyG, being positive is one of the best things you can do! I am so thankful I had the loving support of my hubby, family, and friends. My paternal aunt had breast cancer in 1996/2001. My BRCA test was negative and that was so good to hear, because I have a 9 year old niece and I would hate to see her be susceptible to this horrible disease!
Old 10-01-2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Minnisewta
Just wondering how many here have breast cancer or any other cancer. I don't have cancer myself but my friend is a 10 year survivor. It takes a strong person to fight cancer and just want to let you know others care about your struggles and want to encourage you to keep up the fight.
I had breast cancer ten years ago. When you hear the verdict, you think death. Then when they found it in my lymph nodes, I was sure that I was not going to be around long. I went through chemo and radiation and then took Tamioxifen and Femara (not together). I am grateful for every day and for being able to enjoy my grandchildren. I don't think about it every day, but it is never too far away in my mind that it could rear its ugly head again. It is in God's hands and His will. I am so very thankful for every day!

Oh, I was having mammograms faithfully, but had the kind that doesn't show up on mammograms. I had to find it myself. Made me sad that I was going regularly and seeing my doctor and it failed me. That said, I still say to you, "Get the girls checked!" It saves many, many lives, if found early. Make that appointment!
Old 10-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ConnieSue
I am a mammographer and just to let you ladies know, please get your yearly mammograms. If it is found early your chances of living are sooooo much greater and usually a lot less treatment. Please don't put this off. If finances are the problem a lot of places have programs for underinsured or no insurance at all. The facility I work at can set women up with funding from the American Cancer Society or from places like Avon. The amount of ladies that get their mammograms have dropped due to financial problems and loss of health insurance. Do this for yourself. We take care of our kids and everyone else in our families, so don't delay. No one wants to find out but wouldn't you be better off finding out when you have choices on how to cure it???? So many women are scared because the think it is too painful. A bit of discomfort is worth it. Please do it for yourself and your family
I know you mammographers only have out best interests at heart, and I continue to go for mine, but I swear the last mammographer I had was a sadist - It was over a week before I was half way comfortable and could put a bra on without screwing my face up with the pain.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:50 PM

2008 endometrio cancer. 1 year chemo. Yearly paps too ladies!!!!
Old 10-01-2010, 02:56 PM

I am a 4 year survivor!