Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many have breast cancer >

How many have breast cancer

How many have breast cancer

Old 10-01-2010, 04:37 PM

I don't, but my DS is a 15 year survivor of BC. She is now 62, rides bike, walks daily, kayaks, and just went through a mandatory retirement from her teaching position of 30 some years. School downsized. She lives life to the fullest, but still has a hard time calling herself a 'survivor'.
I had 5 aunts with BC - three had double mastectomies, one still surviving at 90 plus years; one went on to have throat cancer, mouth cancer, and stomache cancer. She died of a heart attack. The other died from 'unknown' causes.
I have had 'lumpy' breasts and have had biopsies. That was years ago and for last 15 or so years, nothing. Praises God.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:50 PM

I just learned tonight that a friend that has gone through breast cancer twice has now been told that she has stage4 cancer in her liver.With cemo she has a 30% chance.I am so sad right now.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:11 PM
SC

I'm a 5 yr breast cancer survivor. I went through chemo, a mastectomy, & radiation. Also took herceptin for a year.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:40 PM

I don't but my sister is a 5 year breast cancer survivor. My grandmother died of uterine cancer. Remember everyone get your annual check up's. Don't believe this last stuff they have been touting on the news about how you can delay have a mammogram until 50-55 and annual exams are not required, That's a ploy for the benefit of the insurance companies....not for us!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:14 PM

I had to fight my insurance just to get mine last year. Because of my mom Her doctor wrote a note a prescription so to say to get mine paid for. Because of fibros breast I have to have the ultrasound from know on. If they done the ultrsound type they would have found my moms monthes before they did. She was one lyphnode away from stage 4. IF you can request the ultrasound!! My doctor will not do the squishy type because they are very dense and if I did have a lump they could nto see it. I am a thyroid cancer survivor!
Old 10-02-2010, 01:22 AM

I had a Total Hysterectomy last year for Ovarian Cancer. Had a softball tumor on left ovary. Cancer leaked into abdominal fluid, so they took everything & then some. Went for Chemo & am now doing follow ups. My Huz is a 23 year survivor of malanoma cancer & 9 years prostrate cancer. He had surgery & radiation for prostrate cancer. It came back in 1.5 years. He had 2nd surgery 7 years ago & so far no re-occurance.

Breast cancer is nasty, but so are many others. Ovarian is called the silent killer & many have little knowledge of the symptoms. Many assume it's just a bad period or menopause. Even docs often miss it until it's spread. We need better awareness on all cancers. If caught early they can be cured.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:44 AM

I did, and had a lumpectomy 12 years ago. My Mother died from breast cancer but she was 91
Old 10-02-2010, 04:26 PM

Here's the link for goverment to pay medicaid to all cancer ladies under age 65, and where the cancer started in the breast or cervix.
https://www.cms.gov/MedicaidSpecialCovCond/02_BreastandCervicalCancer_PreventionandTreatment. asp]https://www.cms.gov/MedicaidSpecialC...dTreatment.asp[/url]

Ladies share this with anyone you know!
Old 10-02-2010, 05:01 PM

My yearly mammogram and an ultrasound did not show my lump. I was diagnosed in July of this year. Partial Mastectomy in August. Will be starting 6 weeks of radiation next week. No family history of cancer. None. Parents or grandparents.

I went back on my antidepressant in order to get thru the trauma. Other than an allergy to pain medication, no complications so far. Just wish I could get thru the next six weeks without side effects, but I know that won't happen.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:24 PM

I don't have breast cancer but I have several friends who are survivors and my DH was just diagnosed with basal cell skin cancer. Although his isn't breast cancer, men can have breast cancer.