Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How much wood can a woodchuck >

How much wood can a woodchuck

How much wood can a woodchuck

Old 05-19-2015, 06:51 AM

I had great trouble with a groundhog who took up residence under the wood shed. I tried every bait imaginable, anything recommended and he avoided every one of them and continued to come and pick my tomatoes before I could harvest a ripe one. However, I certainly captured several nasty Possums. All Possums are nasty outfits and vicious too. Also very stinky. I took each one far away from dwellings and released. To my way of thinking, Possums are our WV road-kill finalists. I sometimes wonder how so many are still running around alive.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
I remember that one! "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"
I learned it with "would" instead of "could": How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I learned it with "would" instead of "could": How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood.
Location, location, location--LOL
Old 05-19-2015, 02:58 PM

I got rid of ours by mixing Cayenne pepper the dirt & a little down the hole where they burrow in & out. Haven't had a problem since & that was years ago.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
I got rid of ours by mixing Cayenne pepper the dirt & a little down the hole where they burrow in & out. Haven't had a problem since & that was years ago.

Interesting!!!! I am going to try this. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2015, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

They can be hard to get rid of..I would try trapping them and then relocate them..
Old 05-20-2015, 06:19 AM

I live on a lake and we laugh about trapping groundhogs and taking them across the bridge to relocate. Those that live on the other side of the bridge trap theirs and bring them back to our area to relocate. We just trade groundhogs. lol
Old 05-20-2015, 07:43 PM

woodchucks can cause much damage. my neighbor trapped them . I also have a neighbor dog that 'takes care' of them !!! sounds like the cayenne pepper would be a good solution.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:04 PM

We have rock chucks. My husband shoots every one of them that he can. They can burrow under a foundation and make it fail. Last year we had trouble with woodpeckers. I tried running them off over and over but they kept coming back. It ended up costing us several thousand dollars in repair bills. Knock on wood, we have not had them this year, but if we do they'd better look out. I cannot see allowing any animal around that destroys something that we work so hard to pay for and maintain.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:51 PM

We've had a dog "take care" of one a couple of different times. Good dog. For skunks, I've heard that a radio played with loud base setting drives them away.