Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to Sew an Infinity Scarf REVISED >

How to Sew an Infinity Scarf REVISED

How to Sew an Infinity Scarf REVISED

Old 12-30-2014, 02:02 PM

Default How to Sew an Infinity Scarf REVISED

Many thanks to Jakers1 who came up with this much simpler method for the double sided scarf. Since many of you can't download the pdf, here are the instructions. Attached is the pdf for those who would like a formatted version.

How to Sew an Infinity Scarf - REVISED
This tutorial will cover both single and double sided infinity scarves.

Tips

1. When selecting fabric, look for good drapeability and a minimum of stretch. Note that silky, knit and velvet fabrics may require rolled seams (for single sided scarves).

2. If you are making a single sided scarf, be sure that the wrong side of the fabric is attractive since it will show when the scarf is worn. Flannel prints and plaids, wool and cotton challis, and cotton batiks (preshrunk!) are good choices.

3. If you are using 100% cotton or a 50% cotton blend, preshrink your fabric and iron it before you make the scarf.

4. It is not advisable to use fabric that stretches in both directions. If the fabric stretches in one direction, cut so that the long seam is sewn on the non-stretchy side. This may require more material and some piecing (not covered in the tutorial)

5. When cutting, it is very important to be sure that the two short sides are exactly the same width, or they will not sew together well.

6. Two yards of 42” wide material will make 2 two-sided scarves or 4 single sided scarves that are approximately 8.5” wide. A 60” wide piece will yield 3 double sided scarves or 6 single sided scarves although they will be narrower at 8” wide. Cut the width according to your preference. Vary the length if desired as well, although 72” (2 yards) yields a nice doubled scarf.

7. Try using two different fabrics of the same weight for a double sided scarf, or piece together on the short side two 1 yard pieces of fabric (for single sided scarves) to add more interest.

Single Sided Infinity Scarf Instructions

• Cut a two yard long piece of fabric by width of choice, adding 2 inches to the width for the seam allowance (or refer to Tip #6 and #7).

• Fold the long side ½” towards the wrong side of the fabric*. If possible, press. Be sure to lift and press with the iron (do not drag the iron) to prevent distortion. Fold over the folded edge another 1/2:” and press. Sew close to the inside folded edge.
*If making a rolled hem, either use a rolled hem foot, or roll the long edge so that the raw edge is inside the roll. Pin to prevent the rolled hem from slipping.

• Repeat for second long side.

• With right sides together, sew the short side seam, using a 1 inch allowance. Fold or roll the raw edges of the seam under and press or pin. Sew close to the inside edge on both sides.
Enjoy your scarf!

Double Sided Infinity Scarf Instructions – REVISED (Many thanks to Jakers1 for these much easier instructions!)

• Cut a two yard long piece of fabric by doubled the width of choice, adding 1/2 inch to the width for the seam allowance (or refer to Tip #6 and #7). For example, if you want the finished width to be 12” wide, the piece will be the length of the fabric (72”) by 24.5” wide. If you want the finished width to be 15” wide, the piece will be the length of the fabric (72”) by 30.5” wide. Note Tip #5 when cutting!
• Fold longways, right sides together. Pin.
• Using a 1/2 inch seam allowance, sew about 6 inches down the long raw edge. Backstitch to secure last few stitches.
• Leave a gap of about 3-4 inches. Start sewing again down the long raw edge using a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Backstitch to secure first few stitches.
• Reach inside the long tube you just made and grab the end. Bring the end up inside the tube and match the seam allowances, making sure right sides are together.
• Pin and stitch around the circle you just made, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.
• Find the gap in the seam and pull the fabric through it. If you can't find the gap, it may be on the inside of the tube. Turn the entire tube inside out, then find the gap and pull the fabric through it.
• Stitch the gap closed either by hand or machine.

Enjoy your scarf!
Attached Files

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-30-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:14 AM

I made about 10 infinity scarves this past month and my pattern was different from yours. Takes me about 15 minutes to make one. I cut a piece of fabric about 45 inches long and about 12 inches wide. I made it shorter for a friend yesterday who is only 5' tall. Fold the fabric with the right side inside and sew a very long seam along the 45 inches. Turn right side out and press the seam gently. Take the seams on the 12 inch side and sew together on the machine as much as you can. Then hand sew the opening closed, which is about 2 inches. I used all kinds of fabric and they are just beautiful. I even went into my old scarves that were long and made new Infinity scarves from them.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:07 PM

Love this thread! Thank you so much.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:31 AM

I did with minky, but before sewing edges together to made the circle, I turned it once to give a twist to it...are you all doing that too?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing..
Old 11-04-2015, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I did with minky, but before sewing edges together to made the circle, I turned it once to give a twist to it...are you all doing that too?
I have been researching infinity scarfs on the internet....some patterns say twist it and others do not. Any one know the reason for twisting or not twisting??????

Also the free patterns are widely variable in width and length. What do you prefer???

I remembered a post on here about the I.S. And wanted to possibly make some for Christmas this year but I had some questions. Your input would be valuable to me and hopefully to others.
Thanks, Jennifer
Old 11-04-2015, 04:54 PM

I think the twist is because you would twist when you wear it so its already done. Its a matter of preference. For width I like about 6" (so 12.5" total) and the length about 44". Hope that helps!