Hummingbird feeder

Old 08-15-2016, 10:39 AM

I have them outside my dinning area and we watch them while we eat; I refill mine every three days as it sours and will make them sick. I make mine with just hot water one measure of sugar to four measures of hot water and stir until it is clear. They usually drain it in three days but if not I change it. They are so much fun to watch.Mine come the second week of March and leave the second week of October.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

Lucky you. At my former home, my neighbor had lots of hummingbirds coming to his feeders.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:54 AM

Oh how I love those little birds! I have 5 feeders hanging outside the basement window. DH made a contraption that keeps the ants from getting to the feeders, but we have not found anything to keep the wasps and yellow jackets away. I make a half gallon of sugar water every day and fill the feeders daily. I never need to pour any out, those little guys drink every bit of it! I have countered as many as 30 at a time at the feeders, but 2 years ago I was feeding a gallon of sugar water a day so not as many this year. Needless to say, I stock up when sugar goes on sale for less than $2 per 4 pound bag.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:04 AM

We have three feeders in our back yard and three in our front yard. I love these little darlings. They are such fun to watch, especially in early morning or late evening when they are all trying to feed. I love hummers. We haven't had as many this year as in the past.I have several really neat pics.. My brother gave me the neatest weathervane for Christmas last year it is a humming bird weather vane. I love it.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
Oh how I love those little birds! I have 5 feeders hanging outside the basement window. DH made a contraption that keeps the ants from getting to the feeders, but we have not found anything to keep the wasps and yellow jackets away. I make a half gallon of sugar water every day and fill the feeders daily. I never need to pour any out, those little guys drink every bit of it! I have countered as many as 30 at a time at the feeders, but 2 years ago I was feeding a gallon of sugar water a day so not as many this year. Needless to say, I stock up when sugar goes on sale for less than $2 per 4 pound bag.
I am interested in the ant contraption- we just put a little bit of water in the top of the feeders that have a small indention on the top.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:16 AM

Does any one have a way of keeping the wasps away?
Old 08-16-2016, 04:19 AM

Only had a couple this year. I did see some at the flowers. Cornell has a site that has a live feed for the little birds. They get all kinds. Just Google Cornell Ornithology.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:23 AM

I have had very little luck with our feeders this year. I bought an oriole feeder as well, because I saw an oriole on our deck rail late last summer and again early this spring. BUT...we also had/have a thief with a sweet tooth! A raccoon! It seems this is not an unusual occurrence in spring or when other food sources are scarce, and it has been very hot and dry here. I took down all but the one hummingbird feeder by the front porch, tried putting only a 1/4 cup in a day, and finally, after finding it on the ground one too many mornings, just gave up.

I love hummingbirds, but raccoons near my house--uh uh!!
Old 08-16-2016, 04:49 AM

in the last week the numbers have picked up at our feeder. I love to watch them too. We winter in south TX so we get to enjoy them year round.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:18 AM

I normally hang a feeder out in the Spring and Fall for them as they migrate north and/or south. This past Spring was so crazy that only saw one and by the time I got the feeder out he/she was gone. Haven't seen any yet going back south for the winter yet but we've been having more crazy hot weather up here. Next week they claim we'll see into the 50's at night.