Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I bought a cage to put my grandson in.... >

I bought a cage to put my grandson in....

I bought a cage to put my grandson in....

Old 08-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I had my boys in playpens and it was a Godsend. About 1 month was all they lasted though. They learned how to climb out. My oldest son was in a twin bed at 11months because he was climbing out of his crib. When the youngest was 13 months he was in the crib getting ready to climb out and it collapsed around him. The youngest was the 3rd to use that crib. My niece used it and she used to rock it across the floor and push the lock on the bedroom door. Took the lock off and put her into a twin. She was about 14 months.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:06 AM

My son was super active.Traveling with him was an adventure. Mom had a great big Ford station wagon. Kiddo would go from front - middle - back make a U-turn and start all over again. So my Dad made a fence that separated the back from the rest of the car. Kiddo was put in through the back window with toys and driving was less dangerous after that. You can imagine the looks we got. And a few Mom's actually wanted to know where we bought this wonderful gate. P.S. This was before the invention of seat belts and car seats.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:36 AM

Sounds like something I could have used when my were little. Safe kids are happy kids and so are their parents.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:07 AM

I used this play yard for my Gkids. I had it in the living room,it actually took up the entire room. One big giant playpen.
I could do my work and not worry about then getting in trouble or hurt.

My girlfriend ,at first thought it was too big until her DD had a baby. She bought mine and loved it.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:12 AM

I was born in the 50's. A playpen was part of the culture. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Gives Mom and Dad a few minutes respite and the baby is contained and safe. Also baby learns to entertain herself/himself a bit within the safe confines.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:50 AM

My son had one 20 years ago & it was awesome. Went thru 4 grandkids & now we use it to corral puppies. Easier to carry than a playpen. My new granddaughter has one & they are made so much better than the 1st ones.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:25 AM

I have one in my living room for my 13 month old granddaughter. It's funny that she will go into it for me...but if either of her parents put her in there....screaming. I guess she doesn't want to lose the battle with her grandma.

The playpen that my son and his wife have is just a huge toybox. They put her stuff in there for storage. I'd prefer that they just take it down and use the toybox that I bought them to put her stuff away in....but, I'm just the grandma and it is just my family room that they are stuffing with all of their stuff. ( they had to move in with us)
Old 08-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

I used a harness for my granddaughter, she is 16 now, so it was unheard of then in this town to use a leash for a child. My DD insisted I use it as granddaughter was a runner if given the chance up to age 3. The nasty comments I got from others I replied her safety means more to me then any ignorant opinions and gave a big smile and walked away. Don't ever let anyone get away with making you feel less.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:34 PM

What is the name this product?
Old 08-18-2013, 01:13 PM

I used a harness for my youngest until she was 3.5 years old. She loved the freedom it gave her, I loved that I didn't have to have my eyes glued on her every second she was outside. It was especially useful when we went to local carnivals, into the city, etc. where there are crowds of people to get lost in or heavy traffic. I highly recommend the harnesses!

Yeah, I heard comments about treating her like a dog. My response was "Most people treat their dogs better than they do their kids." I knew my darling daughter was safe, that she was happy with the arrangement. That's all that mattered to me and my DH.