Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I live in a BUSY neighborhood! >

I live in a BUSY neighborhood!

I live in a BUSY neighborhood!

Old 05-25-2012, 09:34 AM

Default Critter

Similar neighborhood - groundhogs (eat my tulips, so wish I could get rid of them). Possums - don't see them very often, mostly late at night if there's something edible on the back deck. Turkeys like to nest at night in our maples. Deer like our yard - wish they didn't - they eat almost ANYTHING! Finally convinced the red squirrel that he'd find more to eat OUTSIDE! He was in the house for more than a week. Ditto with the BAT! Sometimes I hate spring! We get at least one bat every spring. Our house is 150 years old, so there are too many cracks to plug up. And we can hear the squirrels scratching around beneath attic and second floor floorboards. They usually don't make it to the 1st floor, but one did this year. He was frantic to get out - and I opened the door for him. He finally figured it out. Thank goodness!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:04 AM

cats, dogs, groundhog, more cats, birds, snakes, even more cats, squirrels, rabbits, possum, did i mention cats! we have 5 indoor cats, our next door neighbors haveabout 15-20 indoors (they catch the strays they can and have them fixed) and there are TONS of strays around here, we've already had one litter born under the shed.... sigh.... i like cats but there are some limits ah well at least if they're around here we know they'll be fed and hopefully get fixed.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:58 AM

All we have is lots of bunnies that live next door under her trees and drive our beagles nuts!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:36 AM

I live in suburban Atlanta so not so much....but deer, owls (including one that sounds like a very loud monkey), coyotes, rabbits, possums, squirrels, lots of birds including woodpeckers, and the usual dogs and cats. Oh, and some kind of snake that laid eggs across the street and fascinated the little girl there as we went looking online to find out what kind of egg was soft and leathery outside but with a hard inside.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:10 PM

Deer. 14 in the front yard last week. I have lost two cats to coyotes. Bobcats. Great Horned Owls. We had a nest of Cooper's Hawks one summer, not to many chipmunks that summer. Saw a Bald Eagle in one of our trees. We have seen couger track, but have never seen the cougar. The bigest gray squirrels you ever saw and we feed the birds. We live out in the the Deschutes Forest.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:12 PM

In my neighborhood I have about 30 deer who like to sleep on my laterals (septic lines). Two stray feral cats. Ground hogs, squirrels, raccoons, wild turkeys and an Akita. Oh yes, I also have one hubby!! LOL.(had to throw that one in)
Old 05-25-2012, 04:48 PM

Hummingbirds, quail, bunnies, big lizards, we hear coyotes nearby, rattlesnakes and scorpions occasionally, little chipmunks, a few deer in the winter...we live in the desert! A quail sits on our back fence every morning.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:54 PM

Hawk, morning doves, Pileated woodpeckers-pair, small woodpeckers, grey fox, coyote, skunk with 3 babies, woodchuck, turkeys, 6/7 deer, cardinals, blue jays, bees, hornets, wasps, woodchuck, rabbits, snakes, squirrels, chipmunks, hummingbirds, snapping turtle, to name a few
Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 PM

Talking I have a busy backyard!!

We have deer, racoons, fish, turtles, hundreds of types of birds (we live along a waterway),but especially love the hummingbirds and redbirds. Oh, and a really pretty woodpecker, gorgeous owls and hawks. Foxes, bobcats, possums, skunks, coyotes, bees and wasps, cats, dogs, squirrels, beavers and all types of critters associated with living beside the waterway. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Oh, a big damn right smack dab in our back yard too. Love it, I know I am really blessed.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 PM

Three bobcats, mama and two babies. Sure surprised my dog. Luckily Mama bobcat stayed in the bushes.[ATTACH=CONFIG]337942[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]337943[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 0522120825950002.jpg   downsized950522120824a.jpg