Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If your laptop screen suddenly goes black. >

If your laptop screen suddenly goes black.

If your laptop screen suddenly goes black.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:53 PM

I've noticed that my laptop doesn't like to be left on all day. I have to switch it off
once in a while otherwise I can't switch it off at all. Got to call my computer tech (DH).
Old 05-26-2013, 05:39 PM

I see where a tablet at Big Lots is on sale til June 2 for 79.88, goodness , that sure would be handy to have, I panic if I don't have computer access. Just an idea for a second piece of hardware. My notebook screen has gone black but I connected to printer
and it caused my printer to print from queue. (spelling?) I am gonna try the routine mentioned. thanks.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:43 PM

My LCD flat panel HD Polaroid TV went black. Lost the picture. It started with some scrolling lines, then suddenly nothing. I googled it, found out it was a common issue. Hubby bought two capacitors for 50 cents, he had to remove the old ones by melting them, then solder the capacitors into place. It worked! Instead of paying a TV repair shop $600 or throwing the TV away, it was fixed.

Of course, in the meantime I bought a new HD LED LG TV. I didn't care for the picture much, the store wouldn't allow me to return it. I sold that on ebay. It has high ratings and the buyer loved it.

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
Wish this worked on my TV -
Old 05-26-2013, 06:45 PM

I also have a laptop with the issue where the screen went black, could not get anything to work. The video drivers needed to be re-installed. In that case you must boot up in safe mode and remove all drivers, then reboot again, it will find and fix them.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:49 PM

Mine also goes black like that from overheating sometimes if I'm away from home and not using the chill pad. I wait for it to cool and it's back. Just mentioning this as the easier thing to try first.

Thanks for the info, BellaBoo! However, I'm just a little puzzled by your sequence. Step #4 seems to suggest you could turn it on with neither battery nor power cord. It's late - maybe I missed something and need to read this again in the morning!

Last edited by Rose_P; 05-26-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

The computer will be on battery charge to turn back on. It worked for me in that sequence. My power button showed on when I took the battery out.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:19 AM

This happened to mine, I had had it for years and it was outdated. I just bought a new one. Last year when I was setting up my sewing room, I found it in a drawer. I plugged it in and turned it on and the screen was fine. It is almost time to replace the laptop that replaced it.