Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I'm am desperately sleep deprived. >

I'm am desperately sleep deprived.

I'm am desperately sleep deprived.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:50 AM

Hi all. I don't want to come here and complain but I need to vent.

I haven't had a good nights sleep in months. My 11 month old daughter is a horrible sleeper. It's very hard to get her to nap during the day unless we take her for a long ride in the car. At night, she has to be rocked to sleep and given a bottle. Then, maybe 3 or 4 hours later she wakes up crying. The again 1 to 2 hours later, and so on throughout the night. There have been weeks here and there that she would sleep through the night, but no matter what we do, we can not get her to sleep through now. When she wakes up, most of the time she's really not awake, but just whining really loud. She is in our room, and will be for an un-known amount of time. We live in a 2 bedroom house, and my oldest daughter has the other room. There's no way I can put the baby in there with the way she sleeps. Plus I don't want to take my older daughter's privacy away from her. It's really the only place she can when she needs to be alone. Lately when the baby wakes up, she cries until I give her a bottle of formula. I've tried to get her to take just water but she refuses it and then just cries more. And sometimes she'll wake at 3am and not go back to sleep...insisting on playing or crying the whole time. When I just can't take it anymore, I put her in bed with us, and most of the time she just tries to climb all over us instead of laying down to sleep.

I'm at my wits end right now and I'm so frustrated. I never had this problem with the older one. We've tried all the suggestions that the internet has short of the extreme sleep training. It's effecting my everyday mood, making me very irritable, and I'm down right tired. I'm to the point where I don't want to quilt right now...which is something that I love doing.

Thanks for letting me vent. I needed to just let it out and sometimes it's better to do it with online friends then real-life ones...
Old 04-22-2009, 07:55 AM

I am glad that you feel you can vent here. All my children were good sleepers, so have no hints for you. Hopefully she will out grow not sleeping through the night soon. It must be hard having her in the same room. Hope you some relief soon!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:14 AM

No advice, but will pray for relief for you. Sleep deprivation is torture! I NEED my sleep! Praying that you get the sleep YOU need to be a GREAT MOMMY! :lol: :lol:
Old 04-22-2009, 08:17 AM

Have you tried the "Ferber (sp?) method"? What you might have to do is put her downstairs or in the living room or something.... away from you two. She knows that you are there... that is why she is doing it. You basically console them (5 mins or so), and let them cry. Both of my kids were difficult at times. You basically have to shut the monitor off and let them cry themselves back to sleep. It may take a few nights, but it should work. Don't pick them up. That is the worst thing you can do. Just leave them in the crib. My daughter is also 11 months and she sleeps through the night.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Can she see you when she wakes up? That may be the reason why she is so insistently fussy. If you can't put her in a different part of the house, can you put up a screen? She may still be fussy for a bit, but once she realizes that nobody is going to get her for play time, she should settle down again.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:42 AM

No, she can't see us. I still have a bumper on the crib, and even though she's mobile, she won't get off her back. I think even may be part of the problem. She goes to sleep on her back and when she fusses she tries to get on her side but can never make it all the way, or stay in the position. She never really learned how to roll from back to belly, but she can do ANYTHING else.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:54 AM

I would recommend to talkit over with the pediatrician first before trying anything else. My little one was a bit of a difficult sleeper at times and I found out that the longer he sleeps during the day the better he slept at night. If he took short power naps he would be up most of th enight. Try putting her to sleep during the day and since is day, you don't have to be in the room and that will teach her to go back to sleep. Extreme training works, but is difficult on all of you. Basically what they do is to let her cry and come back to her after 10 minutes at first, then 20 minutes, etc. In the mean time, she is crying, probably so are you, and everyone else at home is awake with her crying.

Can you get some help so that you can get some sleep?
Good luck

Maria
Old 04-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

My youngest about this age wouldn't sleep, cried almost all the night. During the day she would nap maybe 30 min and wake up crying. I was almost to the point of collapse, I had a 3 year old too. The ped Dr wasn't much help at all. I took her to a family Dr. and he x rayed her collar bone. Said he's seen many babies with fractures in the collarbone that causes distress when laying down and moving. That was it. A small fracture! She wore a brace for while until it healed and slept fine.
I'm sure that's not the case with your baby if she is playing and not crying most of the time.

I would think it would be very scary to ask for an xray these days. It could be reported. :cry:
Old 04-22-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
She never really learned how to roll from back to belly, but she can do ANYTHING else.
I hope you don't take offence of my advice I really think maybe you should see a PED.( I might be wrong,as I am not a Doc. of any kind. Just a mom of 2 Daughters,Grandmother to 5 boys
GreatGrndmother to 5 kids,3 living from 18 months to 7 yrs. ) But most babies are turning over and pulling up by 11 months. Some are walking by 9 months. Maybe she has a medical problem and that is how it is showing up. I don't mean to scare you,but I would look at all the options.
My oldest Grandson, and My next to oldest Grt.GrdDaughter were not Great Babies,Cryed all the time And didn't want to sleep but all were flipping over from back to front and front to back. pulling up to bars and standing in crib. At 11 months a bumper pad was a toe hold to see how far they could get up.
I hope and pray putting baby in another room does work. I would surly try it.
BillsBonBon
Old 04-22-2009, 01:35 PM

I had a first baby who was like that. He never slept through the night till he was 24 months. I was lucky, my mom came once a week ane I slept all day, only thing that kept me sane. I had two more children who started sleeping at night right away. :lol: