Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm being bugged by this bug! Know what it is?

Okay... it's finally warm enough to go out into my garden and get some things done and these BUGS are driving me nuts!!! They "hover"... may have two sets of wings. They get into my hair and under my shirt. The seek me out and will fly right in my face. If you know what they are and know how to get rid of them, would you please let me know? If they would just leave... me... alone... I would let them live! They are SO annoying! Oh... about a half inch in length with the same red markings underneath. Ah geeze... now I'm starting to itch! :shock: I'm surprised I haven't had dreams about them!! :evil: Hope to learn something here. Thanks!

flying insect
    Name:  Attachment-210500.jpe
Views: 85
Size:  31.7 KB

closer look
    Name:  Attachment-210503.jpe
Views: 72
Size:  28.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Looks to me like what my students called a "stink bug". (That's because they smell when you step on them.) When I was little they were called box-elder bugs. I don't think they do anything, but they can be pesty.

I thought box elder bug also. I remember them being everywhere when I was a kid, but I don't remember them attacking me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Mary
    Looks to me like what my students called a "stink bug". (That's because they smell when you step on them.) When I was little they were called box-elder bugs. I don't think they do anything, but they can be pesty.
    Our stink bugs don't look like that--ours are bigger.

Stink bugs are wider & more of a tan color. If your bugs are not chewing up your plants, stick a Downy fabric softener sheet in your shirt pocket. That's how I keep the knat like critters that attack me off my face & hair.

Okay... as soon as I asked this question... my sister found the answer for me. It is called a California firefly... Ellychnia species, family, Lampyridae

Although they are a firefly, they do not illuminate. They like the sugar maple trees... so maybe that's why they bug me??? Because I'm so sweet??? Yeah, right... well, anyway. Does anyone else have these in the yard?

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    Stink bugs are wider & more of a tan color. If your bugs are not chewing up your plants, stick a Downy fabric softener sheet in your shirt pocket. That's how I keep the knat like critters that attack me off my face & hair.
    Oh! Thanks for the info! I will do that... Heck, I'll tie some together and wear them as a neck scarf if it works!

:lol:

Blog Entries
    It's a firefly, very harmless

Blog Entries
    When I was little we called them stink bugs also. We caught them once in awhile by mistake when we were catching lightening bugs. Now the stupid stink bugs we have are the bigger tan ones and a pain!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mypatookis
    Okay... as soon as I asked this question... my sister found the answer for me. It is called a California firefly... Ellychnia species, family, Lampyridae

Although they are a firefly, they do not illuminate. They like the sugar maple trees... so maybe that's why they bug me??? Because I'm so sweet??? Yeah, right... well, anyway. Does anyone else have these in the yard?
    I thought it looked like a firefly! The front looked like ours but the back didn't. Probably the difference in why they don't illuminate! Learn something new every day!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast