Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm being bugged by this bug! Know what it is?

Okay... it's finally warm enough to go out into my garden and get some things done and these BUGS are driving me nuts!!! They "hover"... may have two sets of wings. They get into my hair and under my shirt. The seek me out and will fly right in my face. If you know what they are and know how to get rid of them, would you please let me know? If they would just leave... me... alone... I would let them live! They are SO annoying! Oh... about a half inch in length with the same red markings underneath. Ah geeze... now I'm starting to itch! :shock: I'm surprised I haven't had dreams about them!! :evil: Hope to learn something here. Thanks!

flying insect
    Name:  Attachment-210500.jpe
Views: 125
Size:  31.7 KB

closer look
    Name:  Attachment-210503.jpe
Views: 88
Size:  28.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Looks to me like what my students called a "stink bug". (That's because they smell when you step on them.) When I was little they were called box-elder bugs. I don't think they do anything, but they can be pesty.

I thought box elder bug also. I remember them being everywhere when I was a kid, but I don't remember them attacking me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Mary
    Looks to me like what my students called a "stink bug". (That's because they smell when you step on them.) When I was little they were called box-elder bugs. I don't think they do anything, but they can be pesty.
    Our stink bugs don't look like that--ours are bigger.

Stink bugs are wider & more of a tan color. If your bugs are not chewing up your plants, stick a Downy fabric softener sheet in your shirt pocket. That's how I keep the knat like critters that attack me off my face & hair.

Okay... as soon as I asked this question... my sister found the answer for me. It is called a California firefly... Ellychnia species, family, Lampyridae

Although they are a firefly, they do not illuminate. They like the sugar maple trees... so maybe that's why they bug me??? Because I'm so sweet??? Yeah, right... well, anyway. Does anyone else have these in the yard?

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    Stink bugs are wider & more of a tan color. If your bugs are not chewing up your plants, stick a Downy fabric softener sheet in your shirt pocket. That's how I keep the knat like critters that attack me off my face & hair.
    Oh! Thanks for the info! I will do that... Heck, I'll tie some together and wear them as a neck scarf if it works!

:lol:

Blog Entries
    It's a firefly, very harmless

Blog Entries
    When I was little we called them stink bugs also. We caught them once in awhile by mistake when we were catching lightening bugs. Now the stupid stink bugs we have are the bigger tan ones and a pain!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mypatookis
    Okay... as soon as I asked this question... my sister found the answer for me. It is called a California firefly... Ellychnia species, family, Lampyridae

Although they are a firefly, they do not illuminate. They like the sugar maple trees... so maybe that's why they bug me??? Because I'm so sweet??? Yeah, right... well, anyway. Does anyone else have these in the yard?
    I thought it looked like a firefly! The front looked like ours but the back didn't. Probably the difference in why they don't illuminate! Learn something new every day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoriEl
    When I was little we called them stink bugs also. We caught them once in awhile by mistake when we were catching lightening bugs. Now the stupid stink bugs we have are the bigger tan ones and a pain!
    They sure are a pain! Been spraying mine with bug spray--seems to be helping this year!

Blog Entries
    That is interesting, our stink bugs are big and pure black.

Blog Entries
    Okay... it's finally warm enough to go out into my garden and get some things done and these BUGS are driving me nuts!!! They "hover"... may have two sets of wings. They get into my hair and under my shirt. The seek me out and will fly right in my face. If you know what they are and know how to get rid of them, would you please let me know? If they would just leave... me... alone... I would let them live! They are SO annoying! Oh... about a half inch in length with the same red markings underneath. Ah geeze... now I'm starting to itch! :shock: I'm surprised I haven't had dreams about them!! :evil: Hope to learn something here. Thanks!
    Thats a June Bug. Their purpose in life is to mate and bug us I think. We have tons of them. Some people call them maple bugs. They are a pain in the butt thats for sure.

That is very interesting. Looks like what we called "potato bug" long ago as a child in Southern Iowa.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwick156
    Thats a June Bug. Their purpose in life is to mate and bug us I think. We have tons of them. Some people call them maple bugs. They are a pain in the butt thats for sure.
    In my area, June Bugs were big, green and ugly! Don't know if they are right but someone told me June Bugs are related to the Stink Bugs we have now...The green ones are native to America and the Stink Bugs we have now come from China?

I think it is a box elder bug.

Blog Entries
    That's not a JUNE bug- from the picture, it looks like a boxelder bug to me.

I will have to remember this trick.

They look like the bugs we call box elder bugs or fire bugs. I hate them because they make such a mess in the windows and it is hard to kill them. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    We got them, they are so pretty to watch at night or night time. The children will collect them in a glass and watch them glow. Off course they will be released, so they can join their brothers and sisters again.

We call them "stink bugs" - haven't got a more scientific name for you. Any usual pesticide should do it - so long as it doesn't kill you or the plants...

Blog Entries
    IF you have the real stink bugs, try to get rid of them. They destroy apple trees.

It looks nothing like a stink bug, a box elder, or a june bug.

However it does look like a "lightning bug" more specific a Californian firefly just like the OP said! :)

I was thinking lightening bug?

Hope they don't decide to visit our town!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast