Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Jails and Nursing Homes:.....something to think about!! >

Jails and Nursing Homes:.....something to think about!!

Jails and Nursing Homes:.....something to think about!!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:32 AM

i was so fortunate to be able to keep my mom at home until she died. we had a lady that came & stayed with her from the time i left for work until i got home. i took care of her nights and weekends with some help from my daughter on sundays. we have a beautiful new nursing home in our town BUT they are understaffed just like every other NH. no one will take care of your loved ones like you do.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

Really is sad, though, isnt it?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

lets get the petition going!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Each senior would have a P.C., T.V., phone and radio in their room at no cost.
OMGosh...seriously...do they REALLY all have a computer, TV, phone and radio in their room?!?!!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Amen! my dad was in what was supposed to be one of the best care homes around but unless us kids were there harping on the help to take care of his needs, he was largely ignored, even falling and lying helpless for hours on the bathroom floor while no one knew he was there!! Needless to say we moved him somewhere else until he passed, but it is really scary to see what lies in store for seniors. I would vote for the care home/jail switch. lol
Old 11-19-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by fidgety
This is cute but............. I have a brother in prison. (drugs) and I have to send him money so he can buy.... bandades, aspirin, clothes, and he aslo has cancer and has to pay 3.00 every time he goes to the doctor. He has to buy all of his own personal items such as shampoo, soap toilet paper, toothpaste. Alos the meals they serve are a average cost of 1.50. I think it is about time the taxpayers stop paying for our incarcerated so this is a good thing even tho I am still paying for alot of his things.. Just a note... He is in a federal institution.
I didn't put this on here to be cute. I always label my funnies. Sorry if I made you feel bad. :cry:
Old 11-19-2010, 04:57 PM

amen to that works for me
Old 11-19-2010, 06:28 PM

I know first hand how it is in an nursing home. I worked in one for 5 years. I truly loved it when I first started but hated my job when I quit 5 years later to the day. I loved each resident I took care of in those 5 years. Many of them are gone now but not forgotten by my heart.

I worked as a CNA and saw many horrible things first hand. The nursing home I worked for is considered one of the best in our area. I saw nurses handcuffed and arrested for taking meds from dying residents; some charted they gave meds and didn't even bother to take them from the med cart because they were to lazy; treatment nurses just slap a new dressing on a bed sore without even cleaning the wound, so a tiny sore became a huge hole; food so horrible I wouldn't feed to a stray dog; linens so thread bare we were glad to see residents come back from the hospital because the EMT's left the hospital linens with the residents; being fussed at over not charting we used nail clipper and didn't document which resident it was, that .03 was a major charge!!! But it was very important that the front lobby got new furniture and decor yearly---wouldn't want someone to think this place wasn't nice!! :evil: I could go on and on! I was to afraid to speak up then, but believe me now, I certainly would if I ever went back.

Please don't get me wrong, we had some awesome nurses and cna's but they seemed few and far between. Most of our good nurses said they worked to hard to get their license and would quilt. Nursing homes are hard places to work, for all staff, being constantly understaffed. But it should never be at the expense of the residents. They deserve the best care anyone could possibly give.

After I left, I went to a hospital to work. Talk about a world of difference!!!! I can't say enough good things about the staff I work with. We consistently rate high on patient satisfaction and are quite proud of it!!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Power Poster

Ditter, this is very thought-provoking. As a nurse I would never work in a nursing home b/c I know they are understaffed and I could not give the patients the care they deserve. I also would never put my Mom in one if she became unable to live alone,no matter what. We 4 kids decided that many years ago!
Our seniors should be getting so much more and sadly, they aren't. Our society doesn't honor them the way others do.
I don't personally know conditions at jails and prisons but have heard plenty to make me like your idea.