Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: jalapeno pepper burn on skin

Blog Entries
    does anyone have a sure fired method of soothing jalapeno burns to the hands. i have been trying for 6 hours now with everything i could find on the internet for some relief - milk, lemon, mustard, ice water,baking soda, aloe vera, with no improvement. have cut jalapenos in the past with no problem. guess my luck just ran out. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

No help on fixing the burn other than time. Feel your pain though, mine was from Habenero's. Learned to wear baggies on my hands!

As I recall the burn lasted for days in the more tender areas, like under the fingernails.

OUCH

Best to you

I did the same thing a few weeks ago--chopped jalapenos without gloves on--have also done this lots of times without problems. The only thing that made it feel better was to hold a bag of frozen corn with the hand that was burning.

How about aloe vera. I have heard that works, but don't know.

I think it just has to wear off. I did that once, will never work with fresh peppers again!

I did this one time and the only thing that helped was sitting with my hands in a big bowl of milk. I sat on the couch and cried and watched movies. I know it's very painful. I hope the pain goes away real soon for you.

Blog Entries
    Ouch! Try the milk, aloe, br careful with ice or frozen veggies as you can get frost bite. Let us know if anything helps. U could try ambesol too suppose to work on bee and wasps stings. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Found this (rubbing alcohol dabbed on with cotton ball relieved the pain almost immediately):
    http://www.tipking.co.uk/tip/7275.html

Also, another website said milk or sour cream works. These and the other remedies all seem to take longer.

Blog Entries
    * 1 You need to allow time for all remedies to work to get the capsaicin off.

Rinse the affected area with rubbing alcohol. Oil-based substances like capsaicin are soluble in alcohol, and alcohol also creates a cooling effect that provides topical relief. The Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University recommends following the alcohol with milk.

Massage vegetable oil into the affected area to dilute the capsaicin, which is soluble in oil, and remove it from the pores. Wipe away the oil with a paper towel.

Wash the affected area vigorously with liquid dishwashing detergent and lukewarm water. Dishwashing liquids are formulated specifically to help oily substances bond with water and wash away, which is exactly what is necessary with capsaicin.

Read more: How to Stop a Jalapeno Pepper Burn on Hands | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_8306860_stop...#ixzz1Yq3LwBp4

Try some soy sauce. It has always worked for me with any type of burn. It sounds silly but works great early on. I have never tried it after a long period of time has passed.
    Please let me know if it works for you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast