Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
jalapeno pepper burn on skin >

jalapeno pepper burn on skin

jalapeno pepper burn on skin

Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by quiltgran2
does anyone have a sure fired method of soothing jalapeno burns to the hands. i have been trying for 6 hours now with everything i could find on the internet for some relief - milk, lemon, mustard, ice water,baking soda, aloe vera, with no improvement. have cut jalapenos in the past with no problem. guess my luck just ran out. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
I forgot to wear gloves once and that was enough. I do feel your pain.

Do you have any Dawn Dishwashing Liquid? You want to get the jalepeno oil off your skin and this is the best that I have found that did the trick. You might have to do it more than once. Don't put lotion or anything on your hands afterwards as you don't want to keep that heat in or it'll burn all over again.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 PM

My #1 tip is ALWAYS WEAR GLOVES. I had to sleep with an ice pack under my pillow to put my hands on the first time I made salsa. Be sure not to rub your eyes. Or if you are a man, don't touch your genitals when going to the potty. Ouch.
Have heard a bad story about that once.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 PM

I did this once and that was enough. I ended up soaking my hands in a bowl of milk for some time because it felt good. I didn't know at the time that it helps to cut the capsacin.
I hope something works for you because I know how painful it is. Feel better soon.

My sons girlfriend says to try baking soda. It absorbs the oil out of your skin. New one on me but at this point if it was me, I would try anything.
Husband says at work they use handcleaner like they use in an auto garage to help remove poison oak when they get into it.

I keep a box laxtex gloves in the house just for this kind of thing. In the long run it is worth the investment.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:02 AM

I survived, painfully but survived it once. It took a few days and a lot of tears. I flipped the seeds out of fresh jalapenos with my fingers in a hurry to make chili re, something or others and about half way through, the terror started. Didn't know anything or anyone to ask and this was many years ago. I avoid the darn things altogether! These are wonderful hints, thanks for the subject. Blessings, Ruth
Old 09-24-2011, 09:48 AM

THANK YOU EVERYONE who responded to my call for help. I feel so much better this morning. Yesterday I was canning balsamic pepper jelly and didn't pay much attention to how I was handling the jalapenos. I usually am very careful as I've never used gloves before, but as I say have always been careful. Not yesterday and did I suffer. I tried just about all the remedies you all suggested but nothing was a miracle cure, that's for sure. I also washed my hands about ten times including washing with a special abrasive soap most often used by those working in the automotive industry. In the end I alternated between soaking in cold milk and cold water. Nine hours later after two glasses of wine, two extra strength tylenol and two extra strenth ibuprofen I fell asleep for the night. They bothered me somewhat in the night but I could tell they were improving and this morning I'm a happy lady again but with sore (not burning fingers). Thanks again for helping out.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:38 AM

that stuff is BAD!! DH likes hot peppers - I tell him - YOU handle them. I did some once, washed hands afterwards, took a shower, and washed hair, did dishes. After all that I touched my lips and got a burning sensation.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:48 AM

All good ideas.... This one came from a Vietnam vet, Take plain old flour, put it in a bag and stick you hand in it for at least 10 min. (this may be for the time it happened) This was used in Vietnam for burn, of most any kind. The lady that tried this had a scald ed hand. After 10 min. she took her hand out and the hand was not red or anything and it never blistered, no pain. You can use this also if some one gets burned with fire. DO NOT RUN COLD WATER OVER IT! I got this from an e-mail.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:14 PM

I have done that before. What has helped a little in the past is rub a lime over my hands. I have a lime tree and have access to plenty of them but I have had it help. Just don't leave the lime on too long. I have also paid the price of leaving lime juice on my hands too long ( I juiced about 200 limes) and they burnt and tattooed my hands. Never again!!!! I only will juice a few at a time constantly washing my hands, or wearing gloves.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:26 PM

Oh, I feel for you. This happened to me when I canned peppers. Before internet. The only thing that gave me relief was keeping my hand in cold water--the 'holding' hand, the knife hand was O.K. I went to church that evening clutching a 2 quart drink cooler of ice water.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:12 AM

Do you have an Aloe Vera plant? Cot a piece and rub it on the burned area.