Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just to warn you....another scam going around....

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
    I just got an e-mail from allinstitches4u, saying something about her being in Spain and someting happened. I didn't read anymore, because I realized it was another scam working it's way around. I deleted it. These things get me sooooo irritated!
    I had the experience last summer with an email (?) from a dear friend saying she was in England & her purse, passport, etc. had been stolen. She said she couldn't leave the country without paying $2,500 for hotel bill, etc. I was extremely emotionally vulnerable during that time because of other events in my life so I ran to Western Union. This is so not like me. I started making calls & coincidentally she called me & was in Calif. & not London. I called Western Union asap & had the $ stopped. I then got another email from the guy who was supposed to pick up the $ in London after he discovered the $ had not arrived. He was so angry & forcefully told me to get that $ sent. I let him know I realized this was a scam & had turned over all of my communication with him to the FBI & they were after him. Of course I was bluffing but it was all I had. I still feel so dumb. Yes, he had hacked her acct. because sev. of her friends had gotten the same email.
    We think we're too smart to fall for these things but I've now had 2 experiences that proved me wrong.

One thing I have learned, when the subject line is something like "hello, dear" it is always a scam. Don't know why the scammers can't figure out that is NOT the way people email each other. LOL.

Also I usually sort my emails by sender, alphabetical order, and the Mr./Mrs. senders are all scammers.

I don't even open anything that I don't know who it's from.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

A friend just went to the Iowa State fair and a pick pocket stole his billfold. He call immediately and there were already three charges on it. You have to be so careful in todays world. Always someone out there trying to get money not working.

Loving life in the sun ! With sunscreen on of course ...
    OH bother .. Why o Why?? Guess cuz they can ...
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I got the same one this past week. If these hackers would apply themselves to up and up business projects they could be wealthy people!

What will they come up with next!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    I get the one about money all the time, i just send them to spam, these people are relentless, its a shame we have to put up with this kind of stuff.
    Mary

Got a message from one of my retreat buddies last year telling me the same load of junk you got. First off I knew she wasn't in Scotland & would never go there. It was so out there & way off character for her I knew it was fake. Somebody got her email.
    Live everyday so that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says oh crap she's up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
    After ignoring an original scam, I then got two follow - up emails from two alleged FBI agents and one alleged lawyer, which were telling me that the original email was genuine. They obviously did not realise I was not American and thought they could convince me with the extra "ammo". Keep safe and ignore these idiots.
    Yeah, cos if your friend really was in trouble in a foreign country, it would be the FBI investigating it (like they don't have police in Spain)?
    And, if the FBI were involved, they would TOTALLY be relying on the victim's quilting buddies to sort the mess out.
    Uh HUH. Makes a whole lot of (non)sense!!!
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast