Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another scam going around!

Another scam going around!

I received a text message this evening saying I won a $1000.00 gift card from Target.
    It tells me to go to a website and enter the code.

In order to receive this gift card, I have to BUY or SUBSCRIBE to something and give my CC number. In order to have this card Fed-Ex'd to me.

I did neither!!

So beware of evil texts!!
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Anytime I'm asked to pay for something free, I delete it. I's not free if I have to pay for shipping, handling, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    Anytime I'm asked to pay for something free, I delete it. I's not free if I have to pay for shipping, handling, etc.

Exactly, I read the fine print. Target is NOT affiliated with this. I may call the Corporate office on Monday.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

This scam was on the evening news the other night, I also got the phone call. Beware everyone.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Blog Entries
    I received one of those a couple of days ago only mine was from Best Buy saying we'd won some kind of sweepstakes we entered. We hadn't entered anything at Best Buy. grrrr

Both my husband and I got these text messages ... at 3:00 AM, then again at 4:00 AM (after we had fallen asleep again!). I said some very bad words let me tell you!!

I filed an FCC complaint.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I got this same text shortly after I was trying to get a 50% off coupon off of this website for Hobby Lobby. I just delated it. Also just delated the info on the Hobby Lobby coupon to print.

Blog Entries
    scary! i never look a gift horse in the mouth. I just delete, delete, delete.

I was getting so many of these in my inbox that I put a filter on saying if the subject line had "Gift Card" in it, send it straight to Trash. Then I almost missed a $5 Amazon gift card that I earned for completing a survey!! Luckily I caught it in time.

I got a message from Yahoo about doing something to "verify" my account....I called Yahoo and they said it wasn't them...I went back and read it again and it was filled with mistakes...if you EVER get one from a big business, it's ALWAYS letter-perfect...this one WAS NOT! The mistakes were hard to catch tho...so if you get one, beware. Just delete!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I've also gotten a few from PayPal telling me my account has a problem. I forward it to [email protected] and then delete it. To report anything to CompuServe, use [email protected].
    I always forward the messages telling me I've won $$ to [email protected] then delete them.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I got that text just last night. I just hit delete because I assumed I can't win if I didn't enter.

There is always someone finding a way to scam people. It's really too bad.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    How weird! I'm on AOL; I never get these things. I have to hear about these scams on the board or from my few facebook friends. Might help to increase your filters for this time of year.

Click START or the blue circle icon in the lower left corner of your screen.
    Click CONTROL PANEL in the right hand column.
    Click INTERNET PROPERTIES.
    At the very top of the window click on the PRIVACY tab.
    In the top 1/3 of the next window there will be a little bar on a vertical line. (under "Select a setting for the Internet zone.") You can click on and move the bar up a bit, maybe to 4 little spots from the bottom.

This blocks more cookies than usual and may help you avoid some of these things at this time of year. In later January you may want to move the bar down one notch if you want less "privacy".

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I got it in the form of a text. Thought it was odd since it said I had won the gift card - but I hadn't entered anything so just hit delete. I never give out my cel # when I fill out paper work so knew it wasn't real.

Blog Entries
    I got that text message but my $1000 gift card was from Best Buy. Want to guess how fast I deleted the message?

Thank you for sharing this!
    God, Wonderful Family, Great Health, Awesome Friends, Quilting & Chocolates - - What more could a girl be blessed with!!

Vat
    This will be easy for me not to do because I DON'T TEXT ! ! ! ! First, I don't know how and second , I have no intentions of learning. I am NOT tied to my phone ! ! ! But thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Vat View Post
    This will be easy for me not to do because I DON'T TEXT ! ! ! ! First, I don't know how and second , I have no intentions of learning. I am NOT tied to my phone ! ! ! But thanks for the info.
    i thought I was the only ludite left on this earth...glad to know there are others..........my cell phone is usually in the bottom of my purse...either dead because I forgot to charge it or off...from being in church Sunday.....and I do very little on computer.....one exception being in the company of this great group.........so hopefully I should be exempt from his harassment, but I will be on the alert.....there are forces out there stronger than we are.....du,du,du,du............

Quote Originally Posted by Vat View Post
    Cell phones can now receive telemarketer calls and texts. You can thank the powers in D.C. for that one.

My phone has texting capabilities, but I rarely send one except to the kids. They text me all the time with pictures though. I'm not tied to mine either, half the time it's left at home.

Speaking of texting............funny story

I was in JoAnn's the other day. And the girl at the cutting counter was telling a Lady about coupons via text messages. I never seen so many phones get whipped out of purses and pockets! It was hilarious, all the sudden it was quiet, eyes all staring at their phones and thumbs were going a 100 mph texting for a coupon. ....LOL

we got one one from Best Buy
    may you be in heaven before the devil knows your dead!
    Liz

I don't text-my phone is because my DH INSIST I need one. So it is in the car and I never use it. I get the 100$ a year phone card and never use the complete thing. Last year it was down to 66$ and I had to top it up so I did and now I have 99$ on it. The expire date is April. Wish I could donate the minutes to charity or something. But ATT just gets richer.

Most of the money went to ATT messages and wrong numbers. My sister is the only one who calls that number and now that it is in the car she has to call the house land line.

I agree. When ever I hear its "FREE" I know it isn't. I am never interested be it by phone, or mail. Even if it really was free I probably don't need it anway. So it's no loss to me.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    I received two this week alone. I deleted both as I do not buy from these stores unless I really have too and then I go directly to the store to do so.

Last week I received an original looking email from PayPal saying that they had discovered a third party using my account. It seems they wanted me to sign in on the link provided to stop it right away.....sounded fishy to me. I contacted the REAL PayPal and they said it wasn't them! Luckily, I didn't click on the link, so be careful everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch View Post
    Last week I received an original looking email from PayPal saying that they had discovered a third party using my account. It seems they wanted me to sign in on the link provided to stop it right away.....sounded fishy to me. I contacted the REAL PayPal and they said it wasn't them! Luckily, I didn't click on the link, so be careful everyone.
    i received same message this evening. It seems like when I get things like this I have been on this QB. I did read that site was addressing this issue

Judy in Phx, AZ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast