Another scam alert

Old 10-12-2011, 11:39 AM

I've gotten this in an email 3 times in the last week.

Tipoffs that it is a scam/'phishing' expedition:

1) multiple email addresses in the "To" part of the email
2) all "addressees" get the same notice - in other words, all "addressees" were supposedly in Chatham, NY at 7:25 AM on July 2, 2011 and were supposedly going over 55 mph at the exact same time!
3) No ticket number
4) No license plate number
5) No zip code for the address that we're supposed to send the ticket to after it is printed out
6) No fine amount - I guess we're supposed to look in our bank accounts, see how much we have in it, and send it all in!

Clearly "amatuer scammers", but my DH (a world class worrier) was upset that I deleted the first one without telling him about it. I can't imagine why it upset him, since neither of us was in NY on July 2, 2011, and neither were our cars...

---------------------------------------------------------------

New York State — Department of Motor Vehicles

UNIFORM TRAFFIC TICKET (ID:1),
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
POLICE AGENCY
NEW YORK STATE POLICE
Local Police Code 716

THE PERSON DESCRIBED ABOVE IS CHARGED AS FOLLOWS

Time: 7:25 AM
Date of Offense: 07/02/2011
IN VIOLATION OF NYS V AND T LAW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

142 Description of Violation

SPEED OVER 55 ZONE

TO PLEAD, PRINT OUT THE ENCLOSED TICKET AND SEND IT TO TOWN COURT, CHATAM HALL., PO BOX 117
Old 10-12-2011, 12:21 PM

He shouldn't be upset since your e-mail is not attached to your car.

I did get a notice of a parking ticket from Oakland CA when there was no way the car was in Oakland. So I called them, because the notice said my car was an SUV which it was not, it was a Toyota Corolla. When the person on the phone told me they were the same, I just got off the phone and fought it in writing. But I had to pay the $250.00 fine first. Which was returned after I was able to provide them with a copy of a gas receipt and grocery receipt to show I was in San Diego at the time someone said I was in Oakland. (490+ miles away)

But it was sent to me via US Mail. (It was a post card, so I almost threw it away because I thought it was a scam, luckily I didn't.)
Old 10-12-2011, 02:54 PM

I got that twice so far - deleted them all.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:00 PM

Never open anything in an email that looks suspicious. I got an email in my spam folder today regarding NY police dept uniform ticket. Well, my husband had just been to NY. He was at work and I couldnt ask him about it, so I went to SNOPES.com to see if it was a virus. YES! It is a VIRUS!

This email regarding the traffic or uniform tickets has been going around for a few months. Delete. Do not open. Read the article in SNOPES.com

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/trafficticket.asp
Old 10-12-2011, 04:15 PM

I got it today too. deleted it immediately. I went the the DMV in NY and their ticket numbering system is very different, plus they only contact you by mail, never via e-mail.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:08 PM

There are always someone out there trying to get rich without working. Crooks are everywhere.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:57 PM

A couple of days ago I got an email from a long time friend, saying she was in some other country and had had to leave the US rapidly to go to the aid of one of her cousins who desperately needed an operation in the US. Could I send her $1500 (Fifteen HUNDRED dollars till she returned...and could access her own bank account.

I knew it must have been spam, waited till our woman's club meeting today. She of course had not been out of the country, knew no one who was ill and away from the US.

Spam...
Old 10-12-2011, 09:40 PM

Ramona you should contact the police with your e-mail, this is more than just spam. There are a lot of police departments trying to catch these people.