Another Scam Alert

Old 09-18-2018, 06:05 AM

Default Another Scam Alert

I received this from my credit union and thought I would pass it along. I don't know if it's a new scam but I've never heard of it. It's called the " Bureau of Defaulters". Below is a copy of the email I received describing the scam.

The Bureau of Defaulters doesn't exist. So, why are they contacting you?

One of the most common types of scams revolves around bogus debt collectors. They will send an email claiming to be from The Bureau of Defaulters. It will demand payment for a debt that was never owed and will use threats such as: "this is a court notice," "your Social Security number is on hold by the Federal Government," and "you're being prosecuted for fraud." They may even attach a fake arrest warrant to the message. The recipient is told that they must respond to the notice within a short period of time (typically within 24 hours).

Scammers use this phony bureau to scare consumers into paying them for a debt that never existed.

What should you do if you get a message like this?
Do not click on any attachments or links provided within the email. These may install malware onto your device, which could lead to identity theft.
If you think the threat may be legitimate, ask for a validation of the debt or look up the phone number yourself and contact the agency the email claims to be from.
Forward the email to the Federal Trade Commission at: [email protected], then be sure to delete it!
Old 09-18-2018, 06:12 AM
DJ

It's so important to be very cautious with these scams. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Now that I"m old, i get spam mail a lot. mainly on my car. Looks important and i'm sure some fall for it. things on the computer would really scare me.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

What won't they think of next? We have enough real bills to contend with as it is. Yikes!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the heads up! I'm in Charlotte... so I guess we'll be next on their list... I get all kinds of really crazy stuff usually on the phone.. From "IRS going to arrest me if I don't mail $$$, to "You pledged $$$ and you better pay" from phony charities... Yikes!

The ones I really love are the ones from Microsoft about my computer going to explode if I don't sent $$$!
Old 09-18-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I'm in Charlotte... so I guess we'll be next on their list... I get all kinds of really crazy stuff usually on the phone.. From "IRS going to arrest me if I don't mail $$$, to "You pledged $$$ and you better pay" from phony charities... Yikes!

The ones I really love are the ones from Microsoft about my computer going to explode if I don't sent $$$!
You're not too far away. I'm in Statesville. Did you have any damage from Florence? I don't usually get these type calls. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer the phone. If it's something I need to know they will leave a message.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
You're not too far away. I'm in Statesville. Did you have any damage from Florence? I don't usually get these type calls. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer the phone. If it's something I need to know they will leave a message.
Hi MaggieLou,

Not much damage here. A few trees fell and a few roads washed out, but not near what was predicted. I have a creek behind my house and my house is the lowest one in the neighborhood. I was very nervous about flooding. The creek overflowed the banks a couple of times, but didn't come near the house.

How was it in Statesville?
Old 09-19-2018, 03:51 AM

If the 'powers that be' really wanted to do something useful for the citizenry (especially older people) they would find a way to put a stop to all of this nonsense. We get about six of these calls most every days, interrupting meals, naps, conversation, etc. Even the caller I.D. feature of land lines is not enough to figure them out. I am amazed at the number shown is from my area code and the voice obviously from some foreign country.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:03 AM

I don't answer unless the phone number has a name I recognize with it. We had calls from Australia a couple of weeks ago! Of course I didn't answer, and of course, they didn't leave a message. Enough is enough. My husband paid for Robokiller for a small fee. They don't leave a message or call back.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
If the 'powers that be' really wanted to do something useful for the citizenry (especially older people) they would find a way to put a stop to all of this nonsense. We get about six of these calls most every days, interrupting meals, naps, conversation, etc. Even the caller I.D. feature of land lines is not enough to figure them out. I am amazed at the number shown is from my area code and the voice obviously from some foreign country.
They spoof the numbers to make you think it's a local call. I get calls on my cell phone all the time from the area code and exchange in FL where I used to live. I've blocked so many of these I can't count them all.