Kindle, Nook,E-Book

Old 09-26-2010, 04:14 PM

My DH got me a Nook for Christmas and I LOVE it! I can read it inside and out. I can shop anywhere, anytime. It now has wifi, so I can surf the net. Barnes and Noble gives you a FREE book every Friday. I can go into any Barnes and Noble with my Nook and get extra free stuff. And, if you have access to a large library, you can"borrow " books from the library! The only drawback for me is : the price has come down since I got it. Good for you, though. lol!
Old 09-26-2010, 04:16 PM

I just got a kindle too. So far I love it. So easy to use and it's nice not having the weight of a regular book. I can read it lying down or outside in the sun. Haven't had any down side yet.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:19 PM

I have the Sony reader and love it. I have had it for at least 2 years and enjoy it so much. I am disabled and have problems holding a book and with this I can even read it at night with the extra cover that has a light in it. Hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:45 PM

I am an avid NOOK lover. Barnes and Nobles offers several FREE books and every Friday, it's FREE FRIDAY. But the deciding feature was the replacement battery. I didn't want to have to buy another e-reader when the battery stops holding a charge and the nook sells a replacement battery, plus you can insert an SD card for more memory.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:42 PM

I just received a Kindle as a birthday gift a few weeks ago. It was a surprise, and I really wasn't sure about it to tell the truth. I have no clue about the other devices because I never shopped for one. I use the library a lot and didn't want to HAVE to buy books. Also, I was terriified that I would break the Kindle and didn't use it until I could make a cover. There wasn't much of a selection for covers for the new model a few weeks ago and since I wasn't sure I liked it, I didn't want to pay for a cover!

Things I like:

I felt a lot better about the Kindle when I found lots of free books. Also, I can load them laying in bed straight from the "Kindle Store" wirelessly.

I also like that there is a substantial sample to read for most books.

I have not had to charge it once since it was received, so it will be nice to charge it and not have to worry about packing a charger for trips.

I am a reader who often takes three or four books along so I can read what I'm in the mood for. The Kindle will be much nicer to pack.

So, not a lot of advice from me, since I'm still getting used to my e-reader. I like it much better with a cover-- it's much more like holding a real book and more protected.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-106927.jpe   attachment-106928.jpe  
Old 09-26-2010, 06:02 PM

I was at Borders the other day and they sell eReaders too...might want to check them out.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:51 PM

Does anyone know if these readers have large print? This will be a deciding factor for me to buy one for my husband because he needs the large print.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by trisha
Does anyone know if these readers have large print? This will be a deciding factor for me to buy one for my husband because he needs the large print.
Trisha, with the Kindle, you can change the font size--there's quite a range, from tiny to very large!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by trisha
It is nice to be able to lighten the background also to make it easier to read...check your library also to see if they have the overdrive program for free ebooks...many many new ones not just old books are available ..free but you can not use the kindle yet for those. I have the ipad and can download books onto that but not from overdrive yet..
Old 09-27-2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by sjscribe
I have a Nook and I love it. I travel every week and no longer have to worry about something to read. When I finish something or don't feel like reading something I've already started, I have options without going into a bookstore at an airport.

I did a lot of research on e-readers and the two that I narrowed it down to were the Kindle and the Nook. I chose the Nook because it includes functionality that allows you to borrow e-books from your local library (the Kindle doesn't provide this option). It also has a replaceable battery (for that time in the future when it no longer will hold a charge) and it has unlimited storage because it has a micro-sd slot.

Hope that helps.
Ditto to all of the above!! I just love my Nook. It also has multiple font sizes.