Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's See if the QB Ladies Can Handle This One - Odor in a New Bedspread??

Let's See if the QB Ladies Can Handle This One - Odor in a New Bedspread??

I just bought a new throw-type summer bedspread. It came in one of those zippered plastic bags all folded up.

After being unwrapped from the package, I found that it has a horrific odor. It appears that it was the corrugated cardboard that the bedspread was wrapped around that the odor came from ... it must have seeped into the bedspread somehow. (I figured that out because I bought a matching pillow sham, and that doesn't have any odor, so I knew it wasn't the fabric. By the way, the fabric is 80% poly/20% cotton.)

So far I have washed and dried the bedspread twice with lots of nice, fragrant detergent and fabric softener, and it STILL SMELLS! It's pretty bad.

Okay ladies, what should I do - chalk it up to experience, pack up the bedspread and return it to the store, or do you have any other ideas for getting rid of this horrid odor? One thing that I cannot do is hang it outside - I live in a condo and clotheslines are not allowed. So that idea is forbidden, but anything else I'm willing to try, because I love the bedspread!

I would try soaking it for a couple of hours in baking soda and water then put it through a regular wash with the soda water rinse well and dry. If baking soda does not work I have no idea what else would. Good luck with what ever you try.

Blog Entries
    Charcoal will remove odors. You would need to enclose the bedspread in a plastic bag with the charcoal. A non-messy way to do this is to purchase OdorEaters shoe insoles with charcoal; however, I'm thinking you'd need half a dozen for a bedspread. One of them inside my featherweight case was enough to completely rid it of moldy odor.

Power Poster
    I had a piece of flannel like fabric - I think it had polyester in it - and it smelled of mothballs -

I did everything I could think of to get rid of that smell - got it tamed down a little bit - but after about ten washes and ten days of airing out - I gave it to the neighbors to throw over their plants when we got freeze warnings. Told them to bag it and store it UNDER their shed.

Good luck! I think I would take it back.

Blog Entries
    unless the package boasts of "200% more stank than the average comforter", take it back.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: patricej@quiltingboard.com

I would take it back to the store. It you still have the cardboard, take it back with the bedspread to help reinforce your claim.

Blog Entries
    I put vinegar in the wash and it has never failed me.
    Sadiemae

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
    I put vinegar in the wash and it has never failed me.
    It failed to remove the moth ball scent from that flannel I had.

Okay PatriceJ, you're killing me!!

Sadiemae, how much vinegar are we talking about? I wouldn't want to end up with a bedspread that smells like french fries! LOL!

I thought of the baking soda, too. Guess that would be pretty inexpensive to try.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
    unless the package boasts of "200% more stank than the average comforter", take it back.

Dittooooooooo!

No matter how much you wash it or "think" the smell is gone ... you'll always be sure the smell is still there!

Return it, along with all the accessories you bought to go with it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast