Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: limited income in retirement

Blog Entries
    My husband and I are on a very limited income and I was wondering if there is anyone else on this board with this situation, and how you manage to keep up with all the costs of making a quilt?

Go to yard sales, thrift shops etc.

I am alone and living on a very limited income. Not easy, but quilting is so satisfying! While you are busy quilting, you don't have the urges to go out and spend on other things.

Blog Entries
    i took early retirement, so got the lower SS. it was my choice as i could not take on the new position i was given rather than laying me off. it makes it hard at times. luckily, i have a large stash and already own many of my quilting toys. [i still long for a larger quilting machine on my frame, though]. to continue getting my quilting fix, i can join the senior group who sews charity quilts with donated materials. but for now, i'm catching up on all the quilts i owe to DGKs, etc.

Blog Entries
    I'm on a fixed income, too, and live alone. I babysit at times and embroider for others also (only those I want to do). I consider this my "little extra" for hobbies. I find my hobbies keep me sane so I'm on less medication for pain so I figure I would rather spend $ on my hobbies than on meds! :)

Power Poster
    I had stockpiled fabric while we "had" money - I probably would have been better off putting the money in savings - but that's what I did.

Go to garage sales, estate sales, craigslist, flea markets. I have found tons of bargains.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I had stockpiled fabric while we "had" money - I probably would have been better off putting the money in savings - but that's what I did.
    lol,I did that and duh-what was I thinking-I still have enough for 20 people-still destashing. but now I can quilt for ever and only need thread and batting as I run out.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Have you seen what savings accounts are paying nowadays? .1% - that's one tenth of a percent.

You did good.

I have the same problem but when my DH was alive we had more to "play" with and I was going to craft fairs for extra money. Now no fairs so I have to be careful and use my stash.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast