Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Extra income?

Blog Entries
    We've all talked about how our incomes are shrinking, and we have a thread going on how to quilt with little income. I'm wondering if there are folks here that make "extra income", and if so, how? So, if you have a part time job, or an occasional windfall job, please contribute to this thread and let us know. It might be something that we can do also.

I have sold baby quilts, but usually only 1 or 2 a year. I sell fabric purses. I have answered an ad for a "focus group" and participated.
    Total income for the year: $400 not a lot, but more than nothing.

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    I mend military uniforms on the side and braid hair for servicemembers. Do you have pets? Of course you do I just noticed your avatar. Would you mind keeping a few for servicemebers that are deployed. That is a much needed business and you could advertise cheap too. I could even put the word out to reservists living in MS if you would like. God Bless You!

Blog Entries
    my SIL pays me for babysitting when he goes to his part-time retail job. But the economy is not well, so his schedule is cut waaaay back. I have'nt had the kids for 2 weeks now.... missing the kids more than the money :)

Banned
    We occasionally do what they call "flip" a car. Buy a car cheap, fixed it and resell it for a profit. But that can be dangerous money wise if you don't know alot about cars. Hubby knows alot so that helps. We try to flip at least 1 car a year but sometimes 2. And we make anywhere from 200 - 500 per flip. :)

oh, with that being said I think the other person had a great idea. Boarding pets is a decent job if you put the word out. Lots of people would prefer someone who actually has the pet living in the house with them instead of a "cell" when boarding. :) Just a thought.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    MJ this is a great topic. I will watch and see what others suggest.

Blog Entries
    I've had some luck with selling quilt tops on ebay. but the listing prices are going up up and up. I was thinking about trying Etsy.com anybody try that and had any luck?

I am trying to find a baby sitting job but I only want to do babies as I have a bad knee I also do some sewing on the side but its not much people just don't seem to have the money for this stuff anymore.

I fix computers on the side but they have gotten so cheap that I often tell a potential customer to buy a new one if the part needed is more than $100 instead. Cleaning up after virus infections or cleaning up used pc's & laptops people acquire is about all I do. Freebies for relatives are much more common than paying jobs, though.

I'm thinking of going through the house, attic, garage & storage shed and listing anything we haven't used or displayed in the last 5 years on craigslist. Mug collection, wooden wagon wheels, Christmas decorations, tables, beds, etc.

My oldest son goes to auctions and buys boxes of stuff. He takes out whatever was in the box that he wanted and lists the rest of the stuff on craigslist. He does a lot of bartering also.

I do any rebates I can and coupon a bit, but the coupons havent been great lately, and very few rebates now, lol!
    I pick up aluminum cans, and recylce them, do some mending for people...but mostly the mending is for family now, and I dont charge them, lol!
    I also cut charms and appliques for ladies here, sometimes selling, sometime trading, helps me buy batting, thread and stuff!

I am a stay at home mom. I sell stuff on my etsy store. I list all of the same items on craigslist. Between the two I usually sell 5 or so things a month. Usually bags. Last month 9!

I recently started babysitting. Gah. Not sure if I am loving it though. My son does like the extra companionship. The extra cash is nice. But the 12 hour days are long.

My best friend is really into couponing and has saved a bunch of money she says with that. I am debating on giving that a whirl. She says there are a bunch of free sites that list out what is on sale for the week/day. And how to get the best deal on something.

I live in a bigger city so I do well usually when I list extra items from around the house for sale.

I do craft shows...but, I've been doing it for so many years that I wouldn't know what to do without them.
    The income is really down from them, since the downturn in economy. Most shows are a little above breaking even, so I wouldn't advise anyone to start doing them.
    Lots of people LOOKING at your product, not BUYING.

I will be having a BIG yard sale in a month or so...

Banned
    go to my blog for an idea to sell quilts and quilt related items. :) click on my link in my signature and check out in the profile and links on it. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by lbaillie
    I've had some luck with selling quilt tops on ebay. but the listing prices are going up up and up. I was thinking about trying Etsy.com anybody try that and had any luck?

Will check it out, Thanks!

I think I want to be a sewing machine repair person when I grow up! That's where some big bucks are!

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I think I want to be a sewing machine repair person when I grow up! That's where some big bucks are!
    How True!!! :lol:

Me, too. But I wonder where you learn it....never saw classes anywhere?

Blog Entries
    I retired from teaching in Oct. I go back to my school to work as a sub when then need one. I wear a button that says "I work for fabric". I do motivational speaking and I'm starting to give sewing lessons.

This may sound really bad but breeding pups (if you know how to do it right and breed to better the breed and tempermant not for the money) it can be both rewarding and help out with finances. It is by no means a money maker because you have a lot to put in to the dogs but in our case our dogs are our pets soo...we put the money in to them anyway lol
    I will be watching this thread with interest.
    Hugs
    April

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I hem several of my niece's new scrubs several times a year...$30-$40 x 2-3 times a year.

I also do some hand quilting for pay. Last quilt made $300. I have one now that will require repair first, then finishing the quilting the mother started in her nineties. I'm still looking it over, haven't come to "terms" yet on it. I turn down more than I do because if it isn't a labor of love for me, I won't take it on.

Also I teach occasionally for the LQS or the guild and am paid for that.
    Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    I worked during tax season for 14 years... It was a great second income, and during those months there wasn't much going on either :D

H&R Block used to offer for their classes free, if you would go to work for them. Not sure if they still do this or not.

Blog Entries
    Here are a few ideas I've been successful with:

Mystery Shopping and Auditing. Two years ago I made over $10,000 by mystery shopping and doing audits of a big electronic store chain. You can learn more at www.volition.com Besides earning cash, my husband and I had some wonderful dinners out and I also did some jewelry mystery shops and got lots of pricey earrings and charms which I gave as Christmas gifts. You do get better offers if you get certified. Silver certification is $15. Gold is about $99, but you really don't need that for a long time.

Last year I worked for the Census and was fortunate that the man in charge of the office took a liking to me. I ended up working 40 hours a week with occasional overtime and made about $18.50/hr which was a real God-send. They are still hiring for ongoing surveys, but it is part-time, about 20 hours a week. I took a test and we were supposed to start training in March, but were told that until the Feds resolve the budget issues, new hires were on hold. Salaries vary according to your location. The Department of Labor is also hiring part timers to do price audits in stores. Same deal there.

Artisan Preserves are also excellent sellers at Green Markets and flea markets. I forage for beach plums and make jam and an Asian type dipping sauce. Also make other types of jams and salsas, too. Depending on where you live, the process of licensing can be tough or a breeze. Beach plum jam goes for about $10-12 a jar.

You might also make dog treats to sell at flea markets.

Aprons are enjoying a HUGE come back.

I used to sell on eBay specializing in a particular niche, but the fees - including Paypal fees, were out of control. Now I just sell things on my website with an eye towards clearing out all inventory for more room for .... FABRIC! You can also make money on your blog or website with affiliate marketing. You build content with links and get paid commissions monthly. There are lots of them and there is even one for eBay. Yup. You can make money with eBay without selling anything.

Someone mentioned flipping cars. My former neighbor paid off his mortgage buying cars at marshall's auctions and reselling them. Even the beat up ones went fast. During hard times people still need vehicles as station cars, etc. and they don't care what they look like.

Find a niche market. A good friend of mine loves oil lamps. A few years ago I was at a huge estate sale in a warehouse and found several boxes of wicks from the 1940s and sent them to him. One thing led to another and I suggested he start a business selling wicks. Six years and a LOT of hard work later, he just wrote to say he passed the million dollar mark in gross sales.

I run a concession stand during the summer at a team roping arena. Nice income and work Saturdays and Wednesday nites. I also sell antler dog chews. (antlerdogchew.com) The antler business isn't much but every few bucks helps and the summer job does quite nicely depending on the economy. This year could be interesting.

Blog Entries
    I take surveys and earn cash, giftcards, and items. It takes a while but when I cash them in it is a real treat. Lots of gift cards to restaurants.

Blog Entries
    Interesting topic MJ...I'll keep an eye on it. We've always bought and sold stuff in the past..DH would buy a truck load of non running push lawn mowers, fix them and resell them. I bought and sold horses to put myself through college. I also sold the manure pile by the truck load LOL! There's money in poop! Its a bit harder to do these things in a small town though.

I think the pet sitting need is a good one...what about "doggie day care" or vacation pet sitting-- that season is coming up! Even watching someone's house, watering plants, etc.....can make you some extra $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    Me, too. But I wonder where you learn it....never saw classes anywhere?
    You need to PM Tomilu--she can tell you about the classes round the country and who to contact....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast