Extra income?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:54 AM
OB

I do surveys on line. Soem of the sites are a pain, but some can add up. Also sometimes they provide products to test in your home. It probably add us to about 300 a year plus about 10 products.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by thequiltmama
We occasionally do what they call "flip" a car. Buy a car cheap, fixed it and resell it for a profit. But that can be dangerous money wise if you don't know alot about cars. Hubby knows alot so that helps. We try to flip at least 1 car a year but sometimes 2. And we make anywhere from 200 - 500 per flip. :)

oh, with that being said I think the other person had a great idea. Boarding pets is a decent job if you put the word out. Lots of people would prefer someone who actually has the pet living in the house with them instead of a "cell" when boarding. :) Just a thought.
no cheap cars here...in a rural area all anyone can pay is about $1,000 and that is for a 25 year old beater...used cars are crazy priced here...that would never make me any money..
as for pet sitting,, there are so many rules per each city, bonding, insurance, you name it....my sister had her own business in VA and when she moved to TX found out the rules were nuts and in FARm country there is not much call for a sitter...
Old 04-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SWChick
Commercial booths hurt all the crafters and shouldn't be allowed in any show listed as arts and crafts.

AMEN....I just stated this on another topic that was going about sales..

I have been a crafter all of my life, as was my dad...doing shows is just something I have done...forever...
but they are not any fun any more..there are no large circuits to follow around here any more. The venues all cost so much and offer so little in the way of advertising and booth space..and then you work butt off for months only to show up and find out you are next to some jerk selling crap from CHINA at a price you can not beat...not just jewelry, but hair bows, and even home decor stuff that looks hand made but it is not...there is always a little made in china sticker on it....take the lady with the 5' snowman, I know I can not buy the wood, put in 8 hours of painting it, haul to the show and then sell it for $15.oo

I hate that they are not juried and the items have to be at least 85% handmade or altered!
Old 04-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

Which would be why I don't GO to the shows to shop anymore either Jacquie...If I go to a Craft Show...I am looking for unique hand made CRAFTS!! If I want cheap junk....I go to Wally's (or somewhere similar)
Old 04-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sandpat
Which would be why I don't GO to the shows to shop anymore either Jacquie...If I go to a Craft Show...I am looking for unique hand made CRAFTS!! If I want cheap junk....I go to Wally's (or somewhere similar)
I don't go unless I am having a booth...and I still do pretty good with my goatmilk and vegan soaps, sachets, and natural bath items...

I don't sew anything to sell here as everyone here sews...and thinks they can do it better/cheaper etc...so let them....
Old 04-20-2011, 03:03 AM

I bake particular cookies for our local shop, used to bake only one or two batches (30 per batch) a month but they have become so popular now that I can be asked to bake them 2 to 3 times a week. I have also been asked to bake slices and cakes which I do on occasion. As well as this I also pot up cuttings of various plants and bulbs from my garden which have multiplied, when I make jams or relishes I always make sure to fill up two jars of whatever I have made in plain jars, quilt table runners and table mats, trivets, pot mitts etc and I sell all of the above at local craft fairs throughout the year. I’ll never be a millionaire doing this but it does provide me with a little extra money to help pay these ever increasing bills.

Maybe1day
Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 PM

I have been retired for 10 years. My DH retired 3 years ago. Up untill the last year our retirement $$ have been meeting ends.I started doing substitute teaching for spending money about 4 years ago. Then a year ago I started doing home health care taking 12 hr. night shifts. Neither job pays a lot but if you don't spend all you make you would be surprised how much you can stack up. I can't help it, I am a fabriholic and I do buy fabric, no matter how much I have in my stash. I can go a month, sometimes two without buying then I catch myself binging. Just like overeating or drinking. But I still have about $2000 in my checking acct and I have another $700 coming the 28th. So if you don't have kids at home you can do these kind of jobs. I used to say I wouldn't teach school for any amount of money. But it is a job that you don't have to commit to every day and if you want to go on a trip you don't have to take vacation. You just don't sign up for any jobs at that at that time. In our area, small town schools will hire people with a high school diploma where the larger towns ask for college. I just have HS so it is a good way for me to make a few bucks. It pays $53 a day. The most you have to work is 7 hours. Sometimes only 5 hours. Depending on which school and which class you sub. Then on the home health care I can pick and choose who I stay with. One reason I work at nite is because I don't want to do house work and it is just easier when your client is asleep most of the nite. We are allowed to sleep 6 hours at nite but I never do. I prep. and sleep in the daytime so I can stay awake all nite. It pays $75. a shift (12 hrs) Like I said, I know it doesn't pay much but the working at nite, I don't have to put up with backbiting co-workers and I never see the boss. I only see the person I relieve and the person who relieves me(and the client). My pay check is deposited to my cecking acct. So this is good for me. The school bit, they are so glad to have you subbing that the treat you good. So, God willing, I will get to do this a few more years before I am unable to. It is really nice to be able to spend a few bucks without breaking the bank or having DH griping about what I spend