Macinac Island?

Old 05-16-2014, 08:07 AM

Default Macinac Island?

I'm going for the Girlfriend's Getaway to Macinac Island at the end of September. Does anyone have any information on this place? Before we get to the island, are there any quilt shops nearby? I've loved this hotel since seeing it years ago in "Somewhere in Time". I'm so excited to go!
Old 05-16-2014, 08:30 AM

Bonnie Hunter over at Quiltville just spent several days there. She has several pictures and info. on her blog.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:30 AM

How far are you willing to travel for a quilt shop, depending on direction you come into, there are 2 quilt shops in Gaylord. Delphines is a very nice shop, lots of inventory, and the price was reasonable. Not sure about Macinaw City or St. Ignas for shops. Once you get up there you can ask Siri about quilt shops near your current location. She is usually very good about finding them. That is if you have a smart phone. One of my employees has a daughter that will be working on the island again this summer, she did last summer, as well.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:11 AM

there is a wonderful quilt shop in Paradise and it is not too far of a drive. You could go see Taquamonen falls while there.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

I just suggested to another post about this little island fro a vacation. I originally saw an old travel log on turner classic movies and immediately did a google search of it. The Grand Hotel has the largest veranda in the world. There is much info and photos of it on line. I have never been there but really want to go.

There are no cars allowed on the island. Bikes & walking

There may not be a quilt shop on the island but the small city of Macinac is just a ferry crossing away. Do a search for quilt shops in the city.

there are many small hotels and B&Bs

Very Victorian Gingerbread and cottages.

I don't see how a girls get a way could not be more perfectly suited to this little story book island.

Wish I could go!!

Have a great time.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:09 PM

My husband was a dock porter when they were filming somewhere in time! The shops are touristy, fudge, t-shirts little keepsakes , restaurants ect. It is a beautiful relaxing time, get a carriage ride and see the island!
Old 05-17-2014, 02:46 AM
GG

I was there last Sept. and going back this Sept. with a church group and yes there our 2 that is with in driving distance maybe 5 miles or so one you cross the big bridge and not to far out I have no idea of the names I get emails from them will try and find them for you.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:53 AM
GG

Quilting and Crafts by Mercer 8815 Paradise Trail Carp Lake, Mi Just 5 miles south of Macnaw City but you have to drive.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:54 AM

I have never been there so I will just say have an awesome time. Also that I am jealous.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:19 AM

I live in Michigan and have been there many times, LOVE it. It is very relaxing but touristy as far as shops are concerned but am sure you will find some on the main land, do a google search for Northern Michigan Quilt Shops. Beautiful place to be at that time of the year. It will be off season so not so crowded, I am so VERY JEALOUS !!!! Perfect for a girlfriends get away, the last time I was there I was with two other friends and we had such a great time we never stopped until we went to our hotel for the night then stayed up and watched all the people come home for the evening from the Grand Hotel. Be sure to take a carriage ride, you won't be disappointed. Have Fun.