Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Macinac Island?

Macinac Island?

I'm going for the Girlfriend's Getaway to Macinac Island at the end of September. Does anyone have any information on this place? Before we get to the island, are there any quilt shops nearby? I've loved this hotel since seeing it years ago in "Somewhere in Time". I'm so excited to go!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bonnie Hunter over at Quiltville just spent several days there. She has several pictures and info. on her blog.

Blog Entries
    How far are you willing to travel for a quilt shop, depending on direction you come into, there are 2 quilt shops in Gaylord. Delphines is a very nice shop, lots of inventory, and the price was reasonable. Not sure about Macinaw City or St. Ignas for shops. Once you get up there you can ask Siri about quilt shops near your current location. She is usually very good about finding them. That is if you have a smart phone. One of my employees has a daughter that will be working on the island again this summer, she did last summer, as well.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

there is a wonderful quilt shop in Paradise and it is not too far of a drive. You could go see Taquamonen falls while there.

Blog Entries
    I just suggested to another post about this little island fro a vacation. I originally saw an old travel log on turner classic movies and immediately did a google search of it. The Grand Hotel has the largest veranda in the world. There is much info and photos of it on line. I have never been there but really want to go.

There are no cars allowed on the island. Bikes & walking

There may not be a quilt shop on the island but the small city of Macinac is just a ferry crossing away. Do a search for quilt shops in the city.

there are many small hotels and B&Bs

Very Victorian Gingerbread and cottages.

I don't see how a girls get a way could not be more perfectly suited to this little story book island.

Wish I could go!!

Have a great time.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    My husband was a dock porter when they were filming somewhere in time! The shops are touristy, fudge, t-shirts little keepsakes , restaurants ect. It is a beautiful relaxing time, get a carriage ride and see the island!

GG
    I was there last Sept. and going back this Sept. with a church group and yes there our 2 that is with in driving distance maybe 5 miles or so one you cross the big bridge and not to far out I have no idea of the names I get emails from them will try and find them for you.

GG
    Quilting and Crafts by Mercer 8815 Paradise Trail Carp Lake, Mi Just 5 miles south of Macnaw City but you have to drive.

Blog Entries
    I have never been there so I will just say have an awesome time. Also that I am jealous.

Blog Entries
    I live in Michigan and have been there many times, LOVE it. It is very relaxing but touristy as far as shops are concerned but am sure you will find some on the main land, do a google search for Northern Michigan Quilt Shops. Beautiful place to be at that time of the year. It will be off season so not so crowded, I am so VERY JEALOUS !!!! Perfect for a girlfriends get away, the last time I was there I was with two other friends and we had such a great time we never stopped until we went to our hotel for the night then stayed up and watched all the people come home for the evening from the Grand Hotel. Be sure to take a carriage ride, you won't be disappointed. Have Fun.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Georgia B's Quilts, W1044 Old Portage Trail, St. Ignace 906-643-7726. There are 2 in Sault Ste. Marie, but that's an hour's drive north. If you can get your hands on The Country Register (Michigan version -free at local quilt shops) it has a very extensive list by city. I keep it in the car and check it for any city we may be traveling through. DH is always happy to stop @ quilt shops for me.

Everyone has given good ideas of what to expect on the island. Rent a (very comfy) bike while you're there. The island is not that big and you can bike around the shore in an afternoon...with plenty of stops. ENJOY!
    Jo

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I have been to Mackinac Island many times. You didn't mention whether you were staying on the island or which side of the bridge you were coming from. There are plenty of places at different price points to stay on the island but would recommend reservations. The same goes for Mackinaw City or St. Ignace. My cousins own a resort, Pines of Paradise, which is just south of the bridge that has nice cabins on a lake. They have a website. If you're not from Michigan or the area here are some tips. If you are then my apology for telling you things you already know.
    Here goes:
    Even though it is spelled Mackinac the name of the island is pronounced Mack-i-naw (rhymes with paw)
    Tourists are called Fudgies - you'll understand when you see all the fudge shops
    People who live in the UP of Michigan (upper peninsula of Michigan) are called UPers - pronounced YOUpers because of the many Scandinavian residents who sound their o's as ou's
    People who live in the Lower Peninsula according to the UPers are called Trolls - live beneath the bridge.
    A staple of northern Michigan, especially the UP are pasties - pronounced PASTees. If you can get some locally try them.
    There is a fort on the island that worth the visit from a historical point and the views from there are nice
    There are no cars but the island is small so walking is not a problem. You can also take a carriage, rent a bike or a horse. You can take your own bike over on the ferry for a small fee if you want.
    If you are not staying on the island don't miss the last ferry back to the mainlaind!

Hope you have a great time. It is a touristy but magical place.

Thank you so much for the information everyone! I'm starting a list. Thankfully my friend and her mom know where my passion lies and are happy to stop at all quilt shops. We'll be driving up (I think it's up, since I'm not from back there!) from Ohio, so there should be ample opportunity to find fabric. I failed to mention that we are actually staying in the Grand Hotel and it is actually called Girlfriend's Getaway. I'm looking forward to not seeing cars for a few days. We're getting together this week for make all the reservations. I told my DH I'd be gone for about a week and a half, because we also want to go to Hershey Pennsylvania!

Blog Entries
    There is a great quilting shop in Gaylord. Call Ice House. Love to shop there.

If you are driving up I-75 from Ohio, I would recommend stopping at "The Village Quilt Shop" (exit #84 north of Detroit). Delphine's Quilt Shop in Gaylord is a few blocks from the highway (exit 282), and absolutely worth a stop.
    Mackinaw Island is a magical place -- enjoy!

Miki in Northern Michigan

I've lived in Michigan my whole life and have been to Mackinac Island lots of times. My DH and I are going a couple of times this summer. Our vacation home is 20 minutes from Mackinac City. There are 2 quilt shops in Midland, several in Saginaw, one in Pinconning which is just a few miles off I-75. When you get north, there is a nice shop in Indian River and a small one in Cheboygan. Have a great time!
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Sounds like fun. We are going to be in MI in Aug cant wait. Got three friends Travers city Saginaw and a little place called Chase we are going to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallyflymi View Post
    The Ice House Quilt shop is in Greyling not Gaylord. It is a great shop. I live about 25 miles from and have been there many times.

You'll love Mackinac Island; it's truly a magical place! If you're able, be sure to rent a bike and travel all the way around the island. It's an easy trek, and you really get to see things including nice spots to rest and wiggle your toes in the clear blue waters of Lake Michigan. Since you're staying at the Grand Hotel (lucky you!) be sure to partake of an Afternoon Tea. And also be sure to walk to the left of the hotel up a short stretch of road -- the homes there are well worth seeing. I don't have to tell you to relax along the veranda in the rockers and take in the view. Enjoy your wonderful trip!

Google your heart out. There are many really nice shops on the way to and form the upper peninsula of Michigan. The Travers City area has several that I have been to. None on the island that I am aware of. I looked when I was there two years ago. But I would not be surprised if Sault St. Marie has quilt shops. That is where you will launch off to the island. I know that there are a couple in the Cadillac area, but it all depends on how you are getting to the Island. PM if you want more specific info.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallyflymi View Post
    The ice house quilt shop was in grayling and has closed.

Wear comfy shoes and enjoy - it's a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
    You'll love Mackinac Island; it's truly a magical place! If you're able, be sure to rent a bike and travel all the way around the island. It's an easy trek, and you really get to see things including nice spots to rest and wiggle your toes in the clear blue waters of Lake Michigan. Since you're staying at the Grand Hotel (lucky you!) be sure to partake of an Afternoon Tea. And also be sure to walk to the left of the hotel up a short stretch of road -- the homes there are well worth seeing. I don't have to tell you to relax along the veranda in the rockers and take in the view. Enjoy your wonderful trip!
    Just a little correction. Mackinac Island is in Lake Huron. Very beautiful clear waters.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmom View Post
    Just a little correction. Mackinac Island is in Lake Huron. Very beautiful clear waters.
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
    Google your heart out. There are many really nice shops on the way to and form the upper peninsula of Michigan. The Travers City area has several that I have been to. None on the island that I am aware of. I looked when I was there two years ago. But I would not be surprised if Sault St. Marie has quilt shops. That is where you will launch off to the island. I know that there are a couple in the Cadillac area, but it all depends on how you are getting to the Island. PM if you want more specific info.
    Another correction: to get to the island you will either take the ferry from Mackinac City which is on the south end of the bridge or St. Ignace which is the north side.

You ladies are just wonderful. If it's possible, I'm even MORE excited now!!