Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"making do"  - aka "improvising"". >

"making do" - aka "improvising"".

"making do" - aka "improvising"".

Old 05-08-2017, 05:06 AM

I live in the land of thrift stores so I always buy sewing machines, fabric, yarn, tables, sewing tables, sewing cabinets and thread. Got a huge pack of knitting and crochet needles so cheap as well as cotton yarn.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:18 AM
Banned

Grew up poor, and never got rich, so I'm past master at Make-Do, since I've been doing it all my life. I mean "will we eat today or not" poor. You really CAN make beautiful quilts without all your costly tools and gew-gaws, and a bit more effort. You won't make them as fast, but what the heck's your hurry? I still use scissors, make my own templates, buy yard goods rather than pre-cuts, and hand quilt every one of them. If I HAD to buy all the tools most of you think so necessary, I couldn't afford to quilt. And yes, I piece batting, even in quilts. Do it properly and quilt it reasonably well, and no one will ever know. I do THAT by hand too. Machine zigzag leaves a bit of a lump you can feel.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

I grew making do because it was cheap. I never wanted that lifestyle for my children. I have been cash poor a few time but changed the situations that caused the problem. I don't mind using something handy that would work for the moment but not long term.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:14 AM

*** I grew up with hand-me-downs and
*** use whatever I can find that fits the bill for what I need.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:34 AM

I just moved a 20 pocket clear vinyl shoe bag to the back of my closet door to hold small sewing supplies to keep from searching through drawers to find the items I need.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:54 AM
Banned

Being frugal is an art. Not everyone is good at it.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by popover View Post
Grew up poor, and never got rich, so I'm past master at Make-Do, since I've been doing it all my life. I mean "will we eat today or not" poor. You really CAN make beautiful quilts without all your costly tools and gew-gaws, and a bit more effort. You won't make them as fast, but what the heck's your hurry? I still use scissors, make my own templates, buy yard goods rather than pre-cuts, and hand quilt every one of them. If I HAD to buy all the tools most of you think so necessary, I couldn't afford to quilt. And yes, I piece batting, even in quilts. Do it properly and quilt it reasonably well, and no one will ever know. I do THAT by hand too. Machine zigzag leaves a bit of a lump you can feel.
I think we are twins....
Old 05-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

I wanted to make a wall hanging of a goldfish bowl. I went to the kitchen, got my largest plate and traced around it, then cut the paper in half, and pushed the two pieces apart so that it would not be round. Very happy with the results. I also, very often, make my own stencils when I cannot find what I want in the store. I quilted a tumbler with lemon slices and pitchers.
Attached Thumbnails one-goldfish-top-done.jpg  
Old 05-09-2017, 12:35 PM

That's an adorable goldfish bowl!

I use my DH's 6' long heavy metal ruler if I need a good, long straight line. Currently buying tools for myself, though! I bought a wire stripper and wire today so I can rewire the plugs to my rose-colored Kenmore..
Old 05-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I think we are twins....
Could it be??