Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
making dog pads for kennels >

making dog pads for kennels

making dog pads for kennels

Old 08-23-2014, 07:56 PM

I called our local shelter to make quilts for the animals and was told that they didn't accept quilts as most dogs are under so much stress when they come in that they would just tear the quilts up. Kinda bummed me out. I am a serious dog lover.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jennie and Me View Post
I called our local shelter to make quilts for the animals and was told that they didn't accept quilts as most dogs are under so much stress when they come in that they would just tear the quilts up. Kinda bummed me out. I am a serious dog lover.
Ask if they have a foster program and check with the foster person(s). Perhaps they would like some pads for their kennels.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

WHAT GREAt idea our bee makes dog beds from all kinds of scraps and we donate to spca!!!
Old 08-24-2014, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

I donate my scraps for stuffing to a LQS that passes them on to someone that makes beds
Old 08-24-2014, 08:18 AM

As I was reading through this thread, I was wondering if you make say the 36" square pet, pad with fabric and flannel on the back, do your use scrap batting and lightly quilt? I have a bin of scrap flannel and and I would be happy to use some of it for a good cause rather than to just let it sit waiting for some future project that has not come by in the past 10 years.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:13 AM

I have made several pet pillows/mats using my sewing and batting scraps. This current one has quilted pieces sewn into a pillowcase sized bag which I am filling with scraps. I'm wondering if quilted mats would be better for the animals since they could be more easily washed when needed. Any advice or thoughts?
Old 08-24-2014, 05:03 PM

You've got to be kidding me-- I'm SO sorry that you were treated so poorly!!!! Hooray for your friend, who recognized the value of your work!!

Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
This is what I did also. I made a bunch for the humane society for adoption day using old mattress pads in the middle. There were quite a few I made that were scrappy patchwork , sort of quilt as you go. We had a woman there that went and made her own , she didn't like mine because they didn't match and were just "junky scraps". LOL Some of those scraps were 12.00 a yard fabric. Well to each his own. the dogs didn't care.. She was going to throw them out and a friend of mine grabbed them and used them for her fosters. She loves them
Old 08-24-2014, 06:43 PM

If your needing to find somewhere that needs quilts or blankets for animals put an ad in craiglist. I got several ideas of places that will use the small quilts I make and yes some places are very picky, I don't deal with those. It is enough of my time and materials used not to be mistreated for trying to do something good.