Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: making dog pads for kennels

Blog Entries

making dog pads for kennels

Remember about two months ago I said I'd visited the local animal league and ask them if they had anyone making dog and cat beds. They said no. After many things getting in the way I took three down today after getting many replies from you all. They said they could use hand towel sized and bath size. I took down hand towel size. I wanted to make a towel on one size and fleece on the other. I did, but things got messy.....the fleece stretched AND when I sewed it together it did not do that great....I messed with several of them and sewed them. Then I put just fleece together and life was good. So much for good thoughts to have a 2 in one thing.

That's a wonderful thing to do. Thank you for reminding me to check here locally to see what they need.
    Lori

Remember the old saying, if you do not succeed try try again. Your heart is in the right place. These homeless critter do need creature comforts !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I too make dog beds for our local Humane Society. It is a wonderful way to use up fabrics I don't like or don't need and it gives me a place to practice with machine quilting. And a very nice quilter called ManiacQuilter2 sent me some fabric to use for the dog beds.

Blog Entries
    I made well over 100 small, med size quilts for cats and dogs forthe Humane Society. I did find using fleece on the back did not work well so I made one side with cotton and the back with flannel. Looked and felt much better. What ever you do they will appreciate it. Thank you for thinking of our 4 legged friends.

Doris

Quote Originally Posted by NUTMEG10 View Post
    I made well over 100 small, med size quilts for cats and dogs forthe Humane Society. I did find using fleece on the back did not work well so I made one side with cotton and the back with flannel. Looked and felt much better. What ever you do they will appreciate it. Thank you for thinking of our 4 legged friends.
    I have found as you stated, the local shelter appreciates all that it is done. I make simple pet bedding, basically 36 inch square, flannel on one side, muslin on the other. It is large enough for the larger animals but can be folded up for the smaller shelter animals. Also, it washes up nicely and doesn't give them problems since their laundry equipment isn't the best. I do simple in order to get them to the shelter as fast as possible.

They do love towels also.
    Serita

Thanks for helping our furry friends! I save my scraps for a friend who uses them for stuffing in the dog beds.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I got out a couple of dresses from garage sales and am about to get new sheets for our bed. I got one dress for $.50 at a sale and have found I can't get a light stain out. Those will be perfect for kennel pads and beds.

Quote Originally Posted by NUTMEG10 View Post
    This is what I did also. I made a bunch for the humane society for adoption day using old mattress pads in the middle. There were quite a few I made that were scrappy patchwork , sort of quilt as you go. We had a woman there that went and made her own , she didn't like mine because they didn't match and were just "junky scraps". LOL Some of those scraps were 12.00 a yard fabric. Well to each his own. the dogs didn't care.. She was going to throw them out and a friend of mine grabbed them and used them for her fosters. She loves them

I am in the process of making 100 dog beds for my daughter to use in her boarding facility. I'm using fleece on 1 side and minky on back. I was having problems with stretching, too, until I decided to use clover clips to hold both together. If I hold both pieces taut when running through machine I find the stretching is not a problem. Sew both together leaving opening for turning, then turn and sew around all sides. Works up much faster and they turn out just fine.

I called our local shelter to make quilts for the animals and was told that they didn't accept quilts as most dogs are under so much stress when they come in that they would just tear the quilts up. Kinda bummed me out. I am a serious dog lover.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie and Me View Post
    I called our local shelter to make quilts for the animals and was told that they didn't accept quilts as most dogs are under so much stress when they come in that they would just tear the quilts up. Kinda bummed me out. I am a serious dog lover.
    Ask if they have a foster program and check with the foster person(s). Perhaps they would like some pads for their kennels.

Power Poster
    WHAT GREAt idea our bee makes dog beds from all kinds of scraps and we donate to spca!!!
    QUILTNMO

I donate my scraps for stuffing to a LQS that passes them on to someone that makes beds

As I was reading through this thread, I was wondering if you make say the 36" square pet, pad with fabric and flannel on the back, do your use scrap batting and lightly quilt? I have a bin of scrap flannel and and I would be happy to use some of it for a good cause rather than to just let it sit waiting for some future project that has not come by in the past 10 years.

I have made several pet pillows/mats using my sewing and batting scraps. This current one has quilted pieces sewn into a pillowcase sized bag which I am filling with scraps. I'm wondering if quilted mats would be better for the animals since they could be more easily washed when needed. Any advice or thoughts?

You've got to be kidding me-- I'm SO sorry that you were treated so poorly!!!! Hooray for your friend, who recognized the value of your work!!

Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
    This is what I did also. I made a bunch for the humane society for adoption day using old mattress pads in the middle. There were quite a few I made that were scrappy patchwork , sort of quilt as you go. We had a woman there that went and made her own , she didn't like mine because they didn't match and were just "junky scraps". LOL Some of those scraps were 12.00 a yard fabric. Well to each his own. the dogs didn't care.. She was going to throw them out and a friend of mine grabbed them and used them for her fosters. She loves them

If your needing to find somewhere that needs quilts or blankets for animals put an ad in craiglist. I got several ideas of places that will use the small quilts I make and yes some places are very picky, I don't deal with those. It is enough of my time and materials used not to be mistreated for trying to do something good.