Mattress preferences

Old 06-07-2011, 09:23 PM

Hi...something different...just wondering what sort of mattress you all would recommend (brand names will probably be different here in Aust). We may be in the market for a new mattress and there's so much to choose from. Our's is an innerspring and far too hard and I wake up with a sore back every morning.
The ones with the comfy pillow tops are so nice but I've heard they can develop hollows..can anyone confirm that?
Latex is very expensive and some say it's hot?
There's pocket springs and the other sort with the linked springs.
I just don't want to spend all that money and still not have the right mattress.
Any suggestions? I know it's an individual thing but wondered how the various products held up over time :)
Thanks
Old 06-07-2011, 09:30 PM

We have a Temperpedic bed, it is what they call a memory foam mattress. It is so comfy.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 PM

I have an innerspring, but it is not too hard. We also added a memory foam topper. I love it. One problem with the pillow top is that you can't turn them so they wear evenly. I think going and trying several is what you will want to do. My bed is about 11 years old, supposedly I should replace it but it is still very comfy. If your bed is still in good shape, you might try a memory foam topper to soften it up.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Power Poster

Also Temperpedic. Foam mattresses tend to be hot and sweaty in the summer and very firm and cold in the winter. I have back and joint issues and I found the Temperpedic matteress to help. I read that a good firm spring mattres with a nice temperpedic topper is the best of both worlds. Spend a lot of time laying in the store trying out mattresses.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:55 PM

We have a pillow top and I hate it. It does get hollows, when hubby goes out of town on business I sleep in the center on the hump to try and even it out. Hubby has slept in a LOT of beds on his travels and really likes the Marriott mattresses. You can check them out on their website.

Call around to your local hotels to find out what kind of mattresses they have - in my area, some of them have Tempur-Pedics, some of them have those sleep number beds. Use a discount travel website to get a discounted rate, and try them out overnight.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 PM

Hi miss_ ticky2
I live in Brisbane.Just up the road. I have a Slumberland Chiropractic. I've had it for quite a few years(about 10 years) and it's as good as the day I bought it. I turn it frequently at least every three months. I just love it and my daughter said "it feels like it hugs you" when she slept in my bed.
But having said all that my husband doesn't like it. Not that it matters as we have separate rooms because he is trying to raise snoring to Olympic standard.
You need to lie on the mattress for at least 10-15 minutes in the shop. Yes it can be a bit embarrassing but it is your money you'll be spending. Just lie back close your eyes and think of waking pain free.Don't rush your decision you'll have it for a long time. Don't try more than 3 in any one day. Good luck and I hope you'll be happy with your choice.
Just remembered:- it will take about a week to get used to the new mattress. I was horrified when I got mine thought I'd made wrong choice, but my youngest daughter said they were given that advice when they bought theirs.
If you want to speak to me just PM me.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:05 PM

I have a comfort select. Looove it as I can make it firm or soft depending on my pain level. Does have pillow ton but it zippers on. I am going to call and get a new one. Their mattress r
Guarenteed for so manY yrs. I had problems with the pump. Got a new one at priestess price! Much cheaper! Sure the pillowtop will be too.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Power Poster

We have a pillow-top, it is not too bad but you can only rotate it rather than turn it, which I am not too keen on. We don't have hollows in it and I don't find it too warm (apparently a lot of people find them too hot). We did try out a number of mattresses over a couple of weeks and we are happy with our Slumbercorp Posture Caress (has a 15 yr guarantee).

One thing that is important, which we were told in one place, don't rush into it and don't get a mattress that is too firm. Height/weight of the sleepers is also important to consider, if the salesperson is a good one, they will steer you in the right direction.

We always use a pure wool fitted underlay (it is quite fluffy) all year round, this does act as a mattress protector and is very good for keeping temperatures even. I find latex impossible to sleep on and I always detest that faint rubber smell (weird, but thought I'd mention it).
Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by katesnanna
Hi miss_ ticky2
I live in Brisbane.Just up the road. I have a Slumberland Chiropractic. I've had it for quite a few years(about 10 years) and it's as good as the day I bought it. I turn it frequently at least every three months. I just love it and my daughter said "it feels like it hugs you" when she slept in my bed.
Hi Katesnanna...does that one have a pillowtop on it? I'm going to google it but just wondered.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:55 AM
Banned

We have a Serta and love it. :) Just depends on what your body prefers. Go to a mattress store and lay on all of them. I went twice before I decided. :)