Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
metal roofs vs shingles vs "handyman" vs contractor >

metal roofs vs shingles vs "handyman" vs contractor

metal roofs vs shingles vs "handyman" vs contractor

Old 06-12-2010, 04:15 PM

I put a metal roof on a house I built in 1982. It is really nice to live in. Now days if you live in a neighborhood you can get them that don't even look metal. It has been through many a storm with no damage.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:30 PM

I hired a handyman to do work and he did better than the contractor. But he came recommended from someone else he had worked for. If you know his work go with him. My biggest advice is not to pay him upfront.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Another concern is to make sure whoever does the work, pays for the materials. If you can, pay for them yourself, you don't want to end up with a lean on your home, because they never paid the bill... this happens more often than we would like to believe.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:43 PM

We just had our roof done. Hired a handyman who needed the money and had him put on 50 yr. shingles...yes, they do sell 50 yr. shingles. We paid for the shingles ourselves and had them delivered here. Very happy with his work, and no he wasn't insured; but feel we did good by providing him with a job. I am neighboring you, as I live in Maine. Hubby and I don't really like the looks of metal either.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:59 PM

At first I was going to recommend the handyman, but when you said your home was built in 1898, I thought how you need to be sure no leaks, roofing matches style of home (no metal), lots of angles and roof degrees, and if metal roofs are not installed properly and 'seated' (I think that is the term), you will have problems.

My DH is one of the neighborhood handymen and any roof he puts on will not leak, will last longer than you and I, does not carry liability, guarantees his work as long as he is alive, and gets in, gets the job done, no playing around.

Another thing to consider s do you have to have teh roof inspected by the county at any point and if there is damage later from wind, etc, will your insurance company cover the roof if not done by a professional?
Our insurance company wanted us to pay someone to do our roof after a storm damaged it. So,as the General Contractor, I 'hired' my DH, (he had a business license) he did the job, we saved $10,000 or so bucks and bought the 40 year shingles instead. Maybe it was the 50 year. Anyway, a few things to check on. I would be talking to the homeowners who had him do work. They are the ones who will give you the scoop on him. Looking at his work is only a small portion of the scenario. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Google Goddess

Hi,

Always get a Certificate of Insurance, as the contractor will contact his Insurance Agent and have the agency to send you one with your name and address on it.

Be careful !

I was an Insurance Agent for over 25 years and seen lots of things!

Karen

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
Any opinions on any of these? I need a farmer's porch rebuilt and the back of my house roof stripped and reshingled. Had a contractor who came out and tried to sell me a metal roof. I have 5 roofs and I think metal on 2 and shingles on 3 would look ugly. A handyman that lives down the street gave me a good price on both but he's not insured. BIG THING for me. Handyman is known in town, reliable (word of mouth) and lives down the street. I drove around and took a look at some of his work and he's not bad.

So...do I keep looking and go with a handyman, find a different insured handyman, or go with a contractor who will charge me about 9K more. I'm thinking current handyman gets insured or I go with a different insured handyman.

Handyman price = $6,000.
Big Guy price = $14,500.

sigh.......
Old 06-12-2010, 10:09 PM

Check your homwowners insurance, mine covers laborers.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:45 AM

I'm happy you've all had good luck with handyman but I'm nervous about hiring an uninsured one,and this is why:

My son, in first grade, 12 years ago, was being relentlessly bullied by a classmate, as were other kids. My son, being a peacemaker at heart, had finally had enough and threw a snowball at this kid. Turns out the snow was icy. Cut the kid's cheek and bruised his face a bit. Parents overdramatized, called the cops and sued me. I had no idea this was even happening until the cops showed up at my door. The parents never called me, never asked if I would pay medical bills. When all was said and done his medical came to under $800., which I could have paid. They sued me for $50,000. and my homeowners insurance settled at $24,000. After the claim was settled mom was driving a brand new car and the family was able to move from their mobile to a new home.

This is why the insurance is a big thing for me, you just never know.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

I think the metal roofs are really pretty! Our neighbor has a small porch he did in metal, the rest is shingles, and it really looks nice. Course the metal and shingles are all brown....
Old 06-14-2010, 12:27 AM

My recommendation is to keep looking until you find a qualified, insured contractor who will do the work with the type of materials you choose.