Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mindset just to sew on Thanksgiving has to change. >

Mindset just to sew on Thanksgiving has to change.

Mindset just to sew on Thanksgiving has to change.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Default Mindset just to sew on Thanksgiving has to change.

Both DDs and family had plans to visit their inlaws this Thanksgiving. DH got my blessing to stay at his hunting camp on Thanksgiving Day. I had my mindset to sew and relax all day. Now both DDs plans have changed and they will be here for Thanksgiving. DH will return of course to be with family. I won't be sewing and relaxing. I'll be cooking.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 11-27-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:16 AM

Just think of the memories you will be making! I know when you have your heart set on something, it is sometimes a big blow when someone changes your plans for you. But, as I'm sure you know, spend time with those you love while you can, we never know what tomorrow holds.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:15 AM

What's that old saying: the best laid plans......? I love my family dearly and love spending time with them but sometimes I want to say "hey, have a great Thanksgiving; I'll be in my sewing room." I guess I'm with you--I'd change my plans, as would my DH, and we'd end up having a great time.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving, BB, and plan on sewing all day Friday instead!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:29 AM

Your note made me think of the weekends I had planned to sit and read a book or sew because my husband was going to be out of town and my daughters would come over "to keep me company." It was too hard to turn them away since I was happy that my girls wanted to spend time with me and actually worried about me be lonely. Decided there was going to be plenty of time in this life to sew and read but one never knows when we see each other again.

When we celebrated my parents' 50th wedding anniversary I realized it had been 27 years since all 5 of us had been together. When I got married at 19, I moved 1300 miles away, yes I had been back to visit, but my 2 sisters still weren't getting along very well, so we would visit each separately. And I had gone 13 years without seeing my grandmother, because she stopped traveling due to age and I let my husband talk me out of vacationing in Kansas. Once I realized what was happening I told him he had a choice to come with me or not, but I was going. We don't live forever.

So hope you have a great time and never regret the time spent together.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, but have a great time!
Old 11-28-2013, 06:52 AM

Cracker Barrel! That is where my DH and I are going. Quiet day for us. Happily.

sandy
Old 11-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

It has worked out great. The kids won't be here until after 6 pm and they will spend the night. Granddaughter wants a turkey sandwich for breakfast. I bought the sides at a local restaurant. I will cook the turkey and dressing. DH will come home around 5 pm and will stop and pick up the food. I have time to finish the binding on DD's Christmas quilt as planned.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:59 AM

And I'm sure you loved every minute of it because you were cooking for those you love. Happy Thanksgiving a day late!
Old 11-29-2013, 06:12 AM

Family is a lot more important than sewing.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:46 PM

Well, I have 3 children, 3 stepchildren, with spouses , & 14 grandchildren. To accommodate 'the other' side, I decided to have ThanksGiving dinner, Wednesday nite! I make everything with the help of my husband, we eat cafeteria style, because they arrive 'after work' , which varies in time. So , we all get a good meal, & a GREAT Family Visit! We take a day or two after to clean up! The kids get to have their own meal at home , to start their own traditions, or visit the 'other' side of the family. NO excuses..everyone shows up!
But what I wanted to say is, it is very quiet Thanksgiving day, and yes!! I do sew!!